toe rail cleats?

pagoda

Visit site
I've found our lack of midships cleats a bit of a pest at times . Not a show stopping pest - but an annoyance when mooring in some places.
There are aluminium cleats whch can be bolted to the toe rail (YS make one). Does anybody have experience of these - they ain't cheap!

thanks, Graeme

sailorman

Visit site
I've found our lack of midships cleats a bit of a pest at times . Not a show stopping pest - but an annoyance when mooring in some places.
There are aluminium cleats whch can be bolted to the toe rail (YS make one). Does anybody have experience of these - they ain't cheap!

thanks, Graeme

there is one made to fit / slide onto the genny track

AliM

Visit site
We bought some standard deck cleats, bolted them securely to shaped lumps of wood, and bolted those to the toe rail (with washers, padding etc). They do the job superbly and cost about a third of what the bolt-on ones do. Why not do that - you can go for posh ones later if you feel they'll be worth buying.

savageseadog

Visit site
Don't use anything on the toe rail unless it's bolted through the deck. You might bend the toe rail or even more likely damage the seal between rail and deck creating leaks. Toe rails are ok on an reasonable more or less upward pull but a few tons sideways isn't a good idea.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I've got the Yachtstyle bolt-ons and they work fine. I don't use them in circumstances where this is any huge strain on them. Sailing singlehandled they are great for coming alongside and getting a line on quickly. I use them on a pontoon if I need to rig springs but not if there is any tide when you need long springs. I can't think when you would put enormous strain on them.

PetiteFleur

Visit site

thanks, Graeme

I've fitted the YS ones and they work fine - yes they are expensive and I was always put off buying them because of the cost and then spotted a new pair on eBay at a very low Buy it Now cost so snapped them up immediately. My toerails are through deck bolted and never had a problem with them distorting the rail at all. Another option is to mount a pair of standard Aluminium cleats so they lie inboard bolted through the toerail.

PlankWalker

Visit site
I've got a pair of 9 inch YS ones surplus to requirements, brand new and still in the box, they are the type that bolt down through the toe rail flange and deck, Half price?
PM me if you are interested.
Plank

Spuddy

Visit site
I'm using up the Karabiners now my climbing days are done. Quick to clip thro the toerail and a doddle to switch to another position for preventers etc.

Ammonite

Visit site
I fitted a couple of these to my 4500kg 28 footer

http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/info_PBYS-9185.html (I've no connection with SN btw)

I have to agree with Moodysabre - they are great when mooring singlehanded, really pleased with them. I haven't seen any sign of distortion in the toe rail but tend not to use them for springs - just in case.

Silly money though so suggest shopping around or taking up the earlier offer! I paid £110 for a pair which still hurt ;-)

Last edited: