Tiny Scandinavian double ender….

Bajansailor

Visit site
Prompted by this I had a look at the Francis 26 and was really surprised at how constrained and limited it was certainly when compared to my old Vancouver 27. At the end of the day length matters and no matter how pretty they may be the above boats are very limited and I would venture to say uncomfortable.

I met a young English couple on board a Frances 26 called 'Mithril' in Las Palmas before the start of the first ARC in 1986 - there were no limits on size then, and I think the smallest entrant that year was a Hurley 22 called 'Raggles'.
The folk on Mithril had built her from a bare hull and deck, and then headed south; I met them again here in Barbados and they had a text book passage sailing across. They had taken a year out, and sailed back home the following summer, without fanfare.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I met a young English couple on board a Frances 26 called 'Mithril' in Las Palmas before the start of the first ARC in 1986 - there were no limits on size then, and I think the smallest entrant that year was a Hurley 22 called 'Raggles'.
The folk on Mithril had built her from a bare hull and deck, and then headed south; I met them again here in Barbados and they had a text book passage sailing across. They had taken a year out, and sailed back home the following summer, without fanfare.

I don't dispute that all the boats above could transatlantic and more, Shrimpy at 18 foot circumnavigated as do corks and coconut husks, all I say is that they are limited in accommodation and spartan and not for the majority.

simondewing

Visit site
I just bought the Frances 26 formerly called Mithril.

She has been known as Jeneka 11 and JJ in the last 20 years since returning across the Atlantic in the mid / late 80's
I am about to move her to Torquay and may try to revert to her original name.

Cosy but comfortable for 2, good looking and a good sea-boat.
No issue with small boats you just have to prioritize and live without many of the modern conveniences.

Simon

Sybarite

Visit site
Yes but they are not 19.5 ft. There was a beauty for sale some years ago called "Tinkerbell" or "Schnapps" depending on where you looked. I was very, very tempted but sanity prevailed.

TUMLAREN #8 TINKERBELL in the UK
Lovely but Errol Bruce used to have one and considered it unsafe in bad weather because there was not enough buoyancy in the stern. There was always the worry about being pooped.