Time to spend

broadbent

Visit site
I've just bought my first motorboat - a 1991 Searay 200 overnighter, and it will be stuck in a garage workshop up in London until Easter, when I and the boat will move to Poole.

My problem is what to do with this new toy until then, bearing in mind that the workshop has plenty of tools etc.

Any suggestions (sensible if possible)

Col

Visit site
If it's on a trailer, why not use it?
Tidal Thames, down to the barrier and back, might show up 1 or 2 jobs that need doing.

claymore

Visit site
Compass Magazine

Get hold of one and buy all sorts of things for the boat, giving your wallet a really good rinsing. This is how it will be from here on in so you may as well get used to it.
regards
John S

tripleace

Visit site
Excellent recomendation.

Even in this weather it can be very nice on the thames.

tools:

power polish the hull which is always hard to clean when the boats in the water.

re fix the rubbing strip which always comes loose and renew insert (very cheap and avaialble in different colours)

Re stripe hull if it needs it. (difficult in the open)

mark out length of chain on anchor with different colour paint

clean / wash engine / bilges (steam cleaner?)

test batteries on load and find out how long they last and take to charge up.

and last but not least find the best place to store the beer and wine

www.cleverdic.co.uk

G

Re: Anchor chain

Paint mark at one metre intervals on the chain so when you use it you can let out the required 4 times water
depth

cneighbour

broadbent

Visit site
the boat has a 4.3L mercruiser with GPS and depthfinder. otherwise pretty standard (I think), and it has been stored in this garage for about 4 years. Nevertheless the previous owner loved this boat and cared for it.

So given £1000 what would you spend the money on?

Col

Visit site
Re: Anchor chain

Except I would paint every 4 mtrs ( let out 4mtrs chain for every 1mtr depth of water ) therefore easy to count 1 paint mark for every 1mtr of water.

ArthurWood

Visit site
When was it last serviced? Now is a good time to change oil and filters and to check the impeller(s). Change outdrive gear oil. (Also buy yourself an engine manual.) Grease all recommended points. If it's a petrol engine, check plugs, points, distrib cap etc. If you have canvas, apply thin smear of grease/vaseline to all fasteners and lubricate any zips.
What nav equipment does it have? You will need at least a compass, GPS and VHF radio. What safety equipment does it have? Does it meet local regs. What experience do you have? Do a RYA course? Check/service your trailer. I'm sure you won't get bored!

G

Send me the £1000 along with the garage keys and I'll make sure that she is really well run in.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Andy you don't even come see your own boat I have to pat her every day and tell her daddy stories and make up excuses for you..

ô¿ô

broadbent

Visit site
Being my first season and the boat being in Poole, and it being 6m with a single engine, I guess I'll not being going too far. In which case do I need a VHF radio, particularly since I haven't a license and I can't seem to find a course in London...

I'll take all of your advice otherwise.

What about trim tabs? Now seems the time to fit them if I'm going to.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Re: Compass Magazine

Don't buy the crap bucket and string and the crap dry toilet. Shop around most things cheaper elsewhere, I always do to save the odd £3.

On a more serious note suggest you do as Arthur suggests, all good advice, only a pity he didn't do it all himself!!!!. Check the trailer bearings and re-grease, give the hull a good clean and polish, Mer polish is excellent and much less than marine stuff. If you're going to keep her on a mooring then arrange the antifouling.

Check all the safety equipment, contact the local college or RYA for VHF course, get yourself some charts and plan a few trips, most of all enjoy it!

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: Communication

Well, you will need some kind of communication device on open water and if it's not VHF I'd suggest a cell phone.
As for trim tabs on a 22ft boat, I would think that's overkill. My suggestion would be to fit a hydrofoil to the anticavitation plate of the outdrive. Much cheaper than trim tabs, gets you on plane faster and u can plane at lower speeds. Trim tabs are useful if everyone goes to one side of the boat, but it would be cheaper to adjust the load by telling passengers where to sit and to stay there whilst under way!

G

Re: Anchor chain Col

Agreed, greater knowledge comes with experience and age I suppose Col

cneighbour

G

Re: VHF course

Pat Manly who writes for Practical Boat Owner,see link at bottom of page, does VHF course at his home
in S'Hampton and if your not cruising fa,r hand held with 5-6 miles range would probably be ok
I use an ICOM IC-MIEURO V which performs pretty good.

cneighbour

BarryH

Visit site
All advice given so far is all applicable (gotta say that or i'll get a earfull), but you dont say wether you have experience or not, I would go and do at least powerboat level2. Can be done in london, and while your at it grt the icc thing too.

Whatever you decide to do, one thing the old salts have'nt mentioned is insurance,
have fun with it.

Regards BarryH