Tilman

DKnight

Visit site
I heard a quote suppost to be Tilman....
"Every Herring Should Hang by its own Tail"
Can anyone shed any light onto the meaning of this, have I quoted it correctly, and also who was/is Tilman.

I would also be interested if anyone has any other favourite quotes, like this.

All information would be greatfully received!!!!

pvb

Visit site
The quote is sometimes attributed to Bill Tilman, but it actually dates back to the early 1600s, and effectively means that individuals are responsible for their own actions.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Sailor and Mountaineer, who disappeared (presumed foundered) en route to Antarctica. Wikipedia has more. A forumite named Mirelle, who sadly doesn't post on here any more, was a crew member on one of his expeditions.

Tilman was, ahem, a challenging character and extremely uncompromising and I'd guess that the quote has something to do with the desirability of standing on your own feet (or tail).

S

Skyva_2

Also a very fine writer of more than 10 books, including an early bike ride across Africa, living on bananas!

chart5011

www.cockpitcards.co.uk
I'm sure Tilman would have approved of the following.

A crewman complaining of drips from the deck going onto his bunk is told.... 'The deck's not for keeping the water out it's to stop people stepping on your face'.

I think this may have been Bill Purser an early ICC skipper.

Poignard

Visit site
I once met a man who claimed to have crewed for Tilman for a short time. I asked him what it was like and he just raised his eyes and shuddered.

Can't image Tilman posting on here about what type of EPIRB to buy or how to fix a shower problem /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I thought the most recent atribution was to Blondie Haslar in connection with reliance on liferafts and rescue by others as opposed as you say taking responsibility for ones own actions. Bill Tilman however left us with many memorable quotes and was an exceptional man who would have subscribed to the philosophy escewed by the herring quote.

DownWest

Visit site
Mirelle posts on another site and talked about his experiences with Tilman. The idea that crew only sailed with him once and that he was very awkward were unfounded. He didn't suffer fools gladly and was demanding, but also excellent company when relaxed.
A

C

Chrusty1

If you have read any of his books, I am surprised that you would make a comment like that.