Tides + Palms

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
It seems that the jolly old Surveyor of the Sea Bottom, or whatever the correct title is (no disrespect intended, sir) has threatened all those who had put together tidal prediction / calculations programs for the Palm hand-held computer, with hanging from the yard-arm unless they desist pronto. So they have.

Anyone know of anything suitable (shareware or paidware) still available for this now ubiquitous and useful little device? Everything I've been able to find seems to be for the Psion (had one of those, used it, sold it) or for Windows CE or the PC itself.

Suggestions v. gratefully received. Thank you.

G

Not much help to you -but dou you have the URL for any sites holding Psion Tideware?

Alisdair

andy_wilson

Visit site
UKHO

Her Majesty's Hydrographer will graciously receive your M notices for free but insist on charging for everything it collates, calculates and prints.

My MP, when tackled on this matter, was advised by UKHO that this year limited tidal predictions would be available free to 'interested parties' -local authorities, harbour authorities, climbling clubs etc.

What you and I need are the harmonics and local anomalies for extended calculations of tides.

Sadly, when I hit this problem some months ago, the trail for earlier versions of tidecalc, which included UK data, had already gone cold.

Correspondence with the author of the Palm Shareware program resulted discresion being the better part of valour, so no, he couldn't tell me where an early version might be lurking on the web.

Write to your MP!

Try www.faxyourmp.co.uk to speed things up. I'm afraid The right Honourable Michael Clapham MP for Barnsley West and Penistone wasn't much help, being more interested in Asbestosis and coaldust induced chest complaints than the plight of yachtsmen.

Sorry

bernard_foster

Visit site
Tidetool for the palm pilot is excellent, however, it is difficult to find a site that has UK tide data, if you are interested, drop me an email direct and i will forward you a copy, including the UK data, I work in an industry where the tides on the thames effect us quite dramatically, and we are issued PLA timetable, but the palm is a lot easier and as accurate.
Have you checked out the GPS add ons for the palm available from www.randmcnally.com, full gps functionality and on screen maps with tracking for $59 for palm III and $79 for palm v