Tide times for 2023, Oban

cpedw

Visit site
Two years ago, I asked about getting tide data for 2 years thence. I got Imray Tides planner which was meeting my needs then. This year, I can only get as far as 2022 with Imray. I did ask about 2023 and they told me it should be available end of November but it's still not there.
Does anyone know where I might access Oban tide times and height for 2023?

NormanS

Visit site
The mind boggles at the thought of your need for tide times for the year after next. That's real forward planning. ?

Wing Mark

Visit site
Spring tides will always be at about the same time of day.
Spring tides are 2 days after a full moon.
You can get moon data for the next century or so and know tide times to better than an hour.

NormanS

Visit site
Spring tides will always be at about the same time of day.
Spring tides are 2 days after a full moon.
You can get moon data for the next century or so and know tide times to better than an hour.
Yes, the older good old feet and fathom charts used to give "HWF&C" for ports. That is the time of High Water at the Full and New moon. At Oban, HW Springs is about 0700 and 1900. Obviously the reverse for Neaps. It's not too difficult to interpolate for tides between.

cpedw

Visit site
As described in the link, it's for the benefit of daredevil kayakers, canoeists and SUPers who fancy getting the best out of the Falls of Lora. Apparently, some people with jobs must make arrangements long before the event. The prediction algorithm requires accurate data otherwise its output is rubbish. Weather conditions can do much the same ...

NormanS

Visit site
As described in the link, it's for the benefit of daredevil kayakers, canoeists and SUPers who fancy getting the best out of the Falls of Lora. Apparently, some people with jobs must make arrangements long before the event. The prediction algorithm requires accurate data otherwise its output is rubbish. Weather conditions can do much the same ...
I would imagine that what these people want is the maximum flow rate on the ebb, rather than an exact time of HW. How accurate do they think they need? Re weather: I don't think you'll get detailed info for the year after next.?

Bilgediver

Visit site
I would imagine that what these people want is the maximum flow rate on the ebb, rather than an exact time of HW. How accurate do they think they need? Re weather: I don't think you'll get detailed info for the year after next.?
Phone a friend who has Navionics :) :)

SaltIre

Visit site
A simple Google search found 2023 tidal predictions for Dover. Here: Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation - Tide Tables
If you visit the site you can move to different months. Very roughly, subtract 5hr 16min from Dover tide times to correct for Oban.

Edit:
The above site uses Xtide, and I now see that the OP mentioned WXtide in his post in his other thread from last year.
Are they the same and are the predictions I've linked to reliable?
......observations related to Oban tides.
Previously I have used WXtide version 2.7 which is very old but includes data for Oban. It has been compared to UKHO data and found to be up to 2 hours out in times this year though reasonably close on heights. Recently I tried using WXtide 4.7 which has predictions for Tobermory. Applying corrections to Oban, it compares better to UKHO but is still up to 1 hour out in tide times.
I have found a number of websites that offer tidal predictions. They are either based on limited to about the next seven days or WXtide so no better than what I have already. There is one exception willyweather which will predict tides very similar to UKHO for any date that I'm interested in but only in 5 day long blocks at most. So all the data I need seems to exist but only in a form that would be very tedious to access. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Derek

Last edited:

cpedw

Visit site
The above site uses Xtide, and I now see that the OP mentioned WXtide in his post in his other thread from last year.
Are they the same and are the predictions I've linked to reliable?
It's my understanding that WXtide is the Windows version of Xtide. I used WXtide prior to 2020 but it was found to be less useful than the Imray data.

Edit. A close look shows that the Channel Swimmers use Xtide 2. I need to see if that can offer UK stations. WXtide was struggling because of UKHO contraints.

Last edited: