Tide prediciton websites discrepancy

Lionel

Visit site
Afternoon Folks

In checking some tide times on Easy Tide for Tobermory -

Easy Tide - Tobermory

I then came across another website giving tide predicitons (www.pol.ac.uk) so punched for Tobermory again and got -

POL ac.uk - Tobermory

They are different. You may or may not argue they are substantially different but from this one example there are discrepancies over time of high and low tide (typically about 20 mins) and heights differ by about 300mm.

Which one is right? Or are they both just approximations?

Thanks, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sarabande

Visit site
Such discrepancies are not uncommon between software solutions. The formulae used to calculate tidal heights are closely guarded commercial secrets, and wind and weather will affect the heights and times much more than the mathematics.

Take an empirical average of what you have in hand.

NealB

Visit site
The one whose prediction for a particular tide on a particular day coincides with actual high water is the correct one (for that tide on that day).

Another tide, another day, the other maybe correct.

Or maybe they'll both be 'wrong'.

They're just estimates based on simple(ish), man-made mathematical models.

bedouin

Visit site
Yes they are both approximations - but they are close enough for all practical purposes. If your planning is impacted by which is correct then you are putting too much faith in the predictions.

Lionel

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind input.

So it's wet finger out the porthole and boy on front with plumb line /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's not overly critical as I generally give a wide margin of error with a draft of 1.4m. However, I was suprised to see 300mm difference on heights.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Re: Tide prediciton discrepancies

You should add Belfield's software into the pot as well.

A few weeks ago both that and Easyside were in accord, pressure was near normal at 1015 and winds had been light for days.

Yet the height of tide was 0.6m MORE than predicted.
Any ideas?

mormargh

Visit site
They are two different models. Easytide is Admiralty Hydrographic Office and POL is Proudman Oceanagraphic Laboratory. Results also differ in the small booklets sold/given away by chandlers, yacht clubs, marinas etc depending on whose data they have used (usually stated somewhere).

rogerdog

www.bristolchannel.co.uk
Remember they are tidal *predictions* -ie an educated guess - not a German train timetable (anyone who lived there will understand this joke).

In addition why on the Yachtmaster theory calculate tidal height etc to the nearest 10cm; in all fairness to the instructor as he said that's what the RYA want and certainly could see the futility of this.

Bilgediver

Visit site
boy on front with plumb line

Please use the right tool for the job......Plumb line your wife uses when hanging wallpaper and no place on a boat afloat where nothing is plumb!!!!! You need a sounding line...different animal altogether . You could do a flounder a terrible injury with a plumb line

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lionel

Visit site
Och Bilgediver,, my humble apologies and thank you for correcting my erroneous ways.

I guess this also rules out using a plumb line to hang the wife with. Soddit /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif