Tidal lagoons.

Allan

Visit site
The tidal lagoons, proposed for off Swansea and Cardiff, were on the BBC national news this lunchtime. It was a pretty bland piece of marketing that reflected the roadshow that has been touring clubs recently.
One surprise for me was the comment that the price is similar to that of nuclear power. It would be good to see some details of that calculation.
Other implications in today's piece were that nature lovers liked the schemes and the only objections are from fisherman.
If it continues to be a slow news day it may be repeated later. Further details are at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31682529
Allan

Last edited:

PCUK

Visit site
There must be huge profits to be made and all the accompanying corruption, same as wind power!
Why spend billions on lagoons when simple turbines on the sea bed will do the trick for peanuts.

Allan

Visit site
I agree, it would seem to be an answer. There was an experimental device off Foreland head for some years. I would be interested to see the results and find out why it has not been pursued. There is a turbine at the entrance to a loch in, I think, Northern Ireland.
Allan

bert49uk

Visit site
I agree, it would seem to be an answer. There was an experimental device off Foreland head for some years. I would be interested to see the results and find out why it has not been pursued. There is a turbine at the entrance to a loch in, I think, Northern Ireland.
Allan

The company involved with the turbine off Forland is the same one in N Ireland, Stragford Loch, they moved to N Ireland as they could get a better grant from NorthernIreland assembly, typical example of how us English get shafted with devaluation, ( puts head below parapet and waits for the Flack)

chwarae

Visit site
I thought that the level of subsidy required for the lagoons was significantly higher than the subsidy for nuclear power. Saw it on TV somewhere.

PeterV

Visit site
There must be huge profits to be made and all the accompanying corruption, same as wind power!
Why spend billions on lagoons when simple turbines on the sea bed will do the trick for peanuts.

Because no company has yet found out how to make a tidal turbine for peanuts! All those built so far are expensive to build and very expensive to maintain, hence why several large engineering companies have exited the game.

channel

Visit site
Because no company has yet found out how to make a tidal turbine for peanuts! All those built so far are expensive to build and very expensive to maintain, hence why several large engineering companies have exited the game.

Don't forget the siltation rates in the Bristol Channel will see regular dredging required in the Lagoons too!

Q

quimby

They would like you to be grateful for the Lagoons as they will produce electricity that will be the most expensive in the Western world!:rolleyes: