Throttle cable snapped - help needed in Falmouth

Seven Spades

Visit site
I am in Falmouth on holiday and in Pendennis Marina,I was only supposed to stay one night but today the winds were strong so the plan was to head west on Monday morning. This evening my throttle cable has shaped and I am looking for a recommendation for someone who would be able to fix it at short notice, with luck on Monday.

I have a Beta engine and the cable runs to a Whitlock pedestal, I don't know who would supply a new cable nor the name of a competent shipwright who could fit it, so if there are any of you still up who can make a good suggestion please let me know. If you have to send me personal info then PM me.

Thanks.

scottie

Visit site
Sorry cant help with some one to replace the cable but can suggest some things to start with

The cable is almost certain to be industry standard 33c with a length marked on it if you can read this it will save getting som one to read it for you if you can't see a length then measure it to the nearest 1/4 meter
They are are fairly simple to fit so you may wish to have a go yourself

Seven Spades

Visit site
Do you have any idea which end the length will be marked? The problem for me is the Whitock end, it looks like a pig to dismantle and I am worried about ending up with a bag of bits. As you can imagine the family is itching to go on holiday so I must get this fixed tomorrow.

Gwylan

Visit site
They are not that hard to fit, just a bit of a fiddle.

I watched the youth who fitted ours and it is not that complicated. The yard in the Netherlands where we were produced one in minutes and it was all done in an hour.

Based on this experience we carry a spare. The moment of failure as we were leaving a tight berth on a windy day will stay with me a little while.

SJF

Visit site
I would have a go at this job yourself, I had to do ours after our throttle cable snapped last year and other than having to dismantle large sections of boat to re-run the new cable it was a fairly straight forward replacement. I completely removed the old cable which made it easy to read its details before heading to the nearby dealer to buy a replacement.

Not sure what chandlers/dealers you have nearby but I was able to buy our replacement off the shelf from a nearby volvo penta dealer (was in a rush so swallowed the premium price!).

cagey

Visit site
completely agree re Nick Eddy he is excellent, If you cant get him then try Royston at Falmouth Yacht Brokers 0787 9497942 They have extensive stores. The Beta agent in Falmouth is Simon Caddy 07808 829506.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Do it yourself, take the cable out after dismantling the box containing the throttle lever take a picture of the inside from memory there will be two countersunk allen screws olding it to the pedestal and two machine screws securing the two halves of the box. get into the engine compartment undo the cable from the throttle lever there will be a fixed bracket and the actual lever again take a picture. Once the two ends are free tape a mouse line to one and tape it to the sheath or you will just pull the weird! carefully draw it out through the pedestal leaving the mouse line intact.Once you have the cable off you go to the various swindlries and engineers buy another and fit by the reverse procedure. You will get lots of satisfaction, brownie points and save money as well as being quicker.
Good luck

scottie

Visit site
It a simple job to fit the cable but adjusting it to work properly is more complicated
The main thing to remember is that it should be set up for low idle in just in gear let the mechanism absorb the play in neutral.
Go on line for fitting instructions if you do not have them for your control

Seven Spades

Visit site
I took Gwylan's advice and did it myself. I called one chap but he was not available today and I wabted to get on. Ayway I am now in Newlyn so I am happy, not happy about the weather though it was 17c here and 31/2 in Guildford!