Three - Go Roam surcharge?

syvictoria

Visit site
Thanks for your lovely reply. You're obviously having a bad day!

(P.S.: I thought the typo was funny. I wasn't nit picking.)

Last edited:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Has anybody actually been surcharged by 3?

When you get within 20% of your roaming limit, 3 send you a warning, followed by another warning at 10%.

Clearly these messages are computer driven so I surmise provided you stay below 80% - no computer driven message and no threat of surcharges?
I got the 80% warning a few days ago, the 95% yesterday and "met my fair use limit" today.

When I got the 80% warning I contacted Three using the support chat in the Three app, and the representative was adamant that there was no limit on my account. I got annoyed with him because he maintained that the SMS about my usage was "just spam", when obviously it was an official message from Three with a link to the three.co.uk However I now wonder if he simply meant that the message is rubbish, and they don't enforce the surcharges at all.

The 80% warning would indicate about 13.5GB of usage, but my phone was showing only about 8GB used. I recently spent time in an anchorage with very poor reception and presumably Three are charging me for every packet sent whereas my phone is counting only those it received.

Sailfree

Visit site
At one time I used both Vodafone and 3 phones. With a Portuguese mobile I carried three separate mobiles On one occasion we saw a guitarist in Caldas. A bit worse for wear I paid the bill for the meal and drinks and saw I had left one of my mobiles where we had been sitting. I picked it up and proceed to leave.

As I left one of the phone started ringing. I Before I could answer it I was stopped by the guitarist and challenged that i had his phone. I went back to the table and proceeded to empty my pockets of my 3 mobile phone and his one (identical to one of mine). I apologised but certain he now firmly believes I am a mobile phone thief.

Now just have tend to carry 3 phone in car and when in UK on person and vice versa for Portuguese mobile!

Tend to use " whats up" app for as many phone calls as possible now to reduce risk of being caught by fair use policy.

In fairness to mobile providers it is meant to be roaming while away not for permanent overseas use. I am hoping one provider will be more lax than others in applying the rules and for this reason always buy my new phones and get a cheap SIM only contract so I can swap providers easiest.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I always buy dual-SIM phones - I started doing it even before I needed it, but it's very handy when you're travelling to be able to keep both UK and local SIMs active, and to be able to switch data providers in settings.

Sailfree

Visit site
I always buy dual-SIM phones - I started doing it even before I needed it, but it's very handy when you're travelling to be able to keep both UK and local SIMs active, and to be able to switch data providers in settings.

Personally I have got used to Samsung and I remember the difficulties years ago of switching from Nokia and trying Motorola and in those days phones were relatively simple.

My understanding is that you have to switch between SIMS and only one can be active - is this true? Also no Samsung is dual SIM?

What one do you use please?

mickbond

Visit site
My Samsung A20E is dual sim as is all the A series, both sims 4G and both on receive all the time. You select which one transmits for both phone and data.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
My understanding is that you have to switch between SIMS and only one can be active - is this true? Also no Samsung is dual SIM?
Not at all. You receive calls and texts from either SIM and preferences for which to use. Data seems to get cut off if you make a call on the other SIM.

You can set preferences for which SIM to use for outgoing connections.

1uTzqac.png

RlKccFj.png

I'm currently using a Nokia as it was the only phone I could find at short notice that uses vanilla Android. It replaced a Xiaomi Mi A2, but I think Xiaomi may have ended their Android One initiative.

I bought a Samsung tablet this summer and was shocked at how much crapware was on it - well, more accurate to say that I was infuriated by the crapware, which made it harder to use. I put LineageOS on it straight away.

Sailfree

Visit site
Not at all. You receive calls and texts from either SIM and preferences for which to use. Data seems to get cut off if you make a call on the other SIM.

1uTzqac.png

RlKccFj.png

I'm currently using a Nokia as it was the only phone I could find at short notice that uses vanilla Android. It replaced a Xiaomi Mi A2, but I think Xiaomi may have ended their Android One initiative.

I bought a Samsung tablet this summer and was shocked at how much crapware was on it - well, more accurate to say that I was infuriated by the crapware, which made it harder to use. I put LineageOS on it straight away.

Thank for info. Currently have 3 good Samsung phones of which I use 2 but will now get a dual SIM on next purchase.

Will see if Samsung have any PX offers

Jegs

Visit site

1uTzqac.png

RlKccFj.png

Idiot question - do you need a number for each sim?

ATB,
John G

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Yes, each SIM has its own number when you buy it. I think the reason the MEO SIM isn't showing one in the screenshots is because it's a data only one (still has a number if you go elsewhere in the settings or need to top it up).

Star-Lord

Visit site
vodafone works gr8 abroad for quite a few years now - but if upgrading you can not get UNLIMITED data - that is only for UK - unlimited data has a cap for European travel - so you have to go for the biggest non unlimited - they used to be bigger data a while back!