Thread sealant, Diesel tank

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
Hi

I have a new plastic diesel tank to fit, its a CAN HP like this

The filler connection is threaded to the top of the tank. Struggling to find a suitable thread sealant that is suitable for plastic to plastic. There is a rubber washer at the base, but would like to use a thread sealant for belts and braces. I also have to fit a 1/4" bsp fitting into the top of the tank for the breather, so need to use some sealant on this connection.

Any recommendations for a suitable thread sealant?

Best regards

David

footsoldier

Visit site
Have a look at Tru Blu pipe sealant at Toolstation. Might work for you. I've never used it but spotted it while looking for plastic adhesive.

While you're going to all this effort, this is the best opportunity you will ever have to ensure you have sufficient hatch access for cleaning the tank for when the dreaded bug strikes.

B27

Visit site
What do the tank makers suggest?

One answer used to be 'Golden Hermatite', but that's a non-hardening sealant gunge, not a thread glue.
And I think it is no longer around?

VicS

Visit site
Hi

I have a new plastic diesel tank to fit, its a CAN HP like this

The filler connection is threaded to the top of the tank. Struggling to find a suitable thread sealant that is suitable for plastic to plastic. There is a rubber washer at the base, but would like to use a thread sealant for belts and braces. I also have to fit a 1/4" bsp fitting into the top of the tank for the breather, so need to use some sealant on this connection.

Any recommendations for a suitable thread sealant?

Best regards

David
I assume the filler fitting is the item illustrated in the attached picture ( or the angled version of it)

It should seal on the joint washer. If the threaded collar is a separate component, sealing the thread will have no benefits.
Do not overtighten.

As far as the fitting for the vent is concerned if it is a tapered fitting it should seal on the thread . If necessary the Tru Blu thread sealant suggested by footsoldier would be suitable.
If the fitting has a parallel thread it should tighten with a shoulder on to a joint washer

1698065521600.png

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
Thanks for your help.. See picture below. I'm not using the 90 bend. Just connecting the stepped fitting straight to the tank. I want to get it right as it would be really awkward to get to in the future. The other fitting is a 1/4" BSP tapered thread for the tank breather. Would PTFE on the thread be OK or will the diesel have a detrimental affect on the PTFE?

As a side note, I emailed the manufacturer, and their only comment was to use a generic sealant.
1698079326334.png

Martin_J

Visit site
I have always used JetLube V-2 Plus for things like this.. The spec sheet says its good for polyethylene (polythene) fittings and for diesel up to 145psi. ( as well as for potable water and even gas)...

It's non setting and very easy to work with..

Screenshot_20231023-224819_Samsung Internet.jpg

Data sheet at the link below...

https://docs.jetlube.com/documents/...+PDF/English/Jet-Lube/V2+Plus_TDS_English.pdf

Screenshot_20231023-225102_Gallery.jpg

I don't know why others never seem to suggest it.. but if there are reasons not to use it then let me know.

Last edited: