Thoughts about rope cutters

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
All recent talk about pot markers, floating nets worries me a bit. In the Baltic Sea, where I normally cruise this is seldom a problem, but prior to my 'Round Europe' cruise next year I´m considering taking some action.

*Which brand or type of rope cutters do you think is the best?

*Do you beleive it´s worth the effort to have a wire permanently attached between the keel and skeg as a simple 'deflector'?

My Moody 42 ketch has a long fin keel and full skeg (almost as deep as the keel), the prop, a 3 blade Maxprop feathering sits very close to the trailing edge (no P-bracket) and high up near the hull.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
I also fitted an Ambassador Stripper (last season). It's an awesome looking device, but hasn't yet been used in anger as far as I'm aware. It was recommended to me by several sources as the best available.

I would also fit any protective lines etc as I believe that deflecting ropes is an effective counter-measure. I have a P bracket and there isn't an obvious way I could do this.

<hr width=100% size=1>

JerryHawkins

Visit site
Stripper!

Deffinately the RopeStripper from Ambassador Marine. Always comes out on top in tests. Not cheap, but then nothing good ever is! It could cost you a lot more without one or with an inferior one if you're unlucky.

Cheers,

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

SimonD

Visit site
Re: Stripper!

I have been wondering about a rope stripper. However, my only experience of getting something round the prop was a garden chair seat cover (of all things!). This made a sort of bag round the prop. Amazingly I still had some drive, but a rope stripper could not have done any good.

Is this an unusual type of prop fouling, or are rope strippers only of any use in limited circumstances (as the name suggests)?

<hr width=100% size=1>

AlanPound

Visit site
Re: Stripper!

We have Spurs - it seems fine...

Funny thing is, you are usually kinda unaware that they have done the job for you, whereas you would be very aware if they hadn't....

OTOH, these gadgets are yet another thing to go wrong, and another thing to maintain (anodes etc..) Oh for a simple life....

Alan

<hr width=100% size=1>