THORNYCROFT SEALION 40

Alfiwalf

Visit site
Hi, general question to all. I am trying to trace a motor boat called 'Youande' for no more reason than the boat used to be long to my father who is now deceased. The last I knew of it was about 17 to 18 years ago when he sold it at Ramsgate in Kent to someone who lived further along the coastline. I have tried numerous avenues to find her without any success. If anyone can give me any information or point me in the direction of where I could research then I would be most grateful.

Regards and thank you.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Remember Youande at Ramsgate.
Apparently only 9 built….fitted out by Meakes of Marlow…friend of mine worked there and fitted them out….it was very long time ago late 60’s early 70’s !….I used to know where most of them were trundling about….unless the boat has gone abroad as a few are in Europe.

Hope this helps and maybe if Old Git sees this he’ll post up the page on them in the book 25 years of motor cruisers by Alex McMullen.

I’d take a look in Brighton marina as there was one moored in there last year.

Alfiwalf

Visit site
Remember Youande at Ramsgate.
Apparently only 9 built….fitted out by Meakes of Marlow…friend of mine worked there and fitted them out….it was very long time ago late 60’s early 70’s !….I used to know where most of them were trundling about….unless the boat has gone abroad as a few are in Europe.

Hope this helps and maybe if Old Git sees this he’ll post up the page on them in the book 25 years of motor cruisers by Alex McMullen.

I’d take a look in Brighton marina as there was one moored in there last year.
Flynnbarr,

Many thanks for the reply; will have a look at Brighton Marina.

Regards.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Flynbarr,

Many thanks; rumors were that they had painted her white. I see she is not flying the Union Jack.

Regards.
No that’s not a pic of Youande (at least I don’t think or know)….it is just a random pic I pulled off the internet last year…..it was posted to show you there are different Sealions…..your father’s was a Meakes of Marlow all fibreglass boat and the one Dino put up is confusingly a different version done by Toughs of Teddington with a teak superstructure…
Clear as mud eh !

Greg2

Visit site
This topic brought back memories - we looked at one on the Broads named Jenanto and I posted on here 21 years ago in this thread

I see that he OP also found it and commented previously.

ianc1200

Visit site
Sealion 42 for sale UK, Sealion boats for sale, Sealion used boat sales, Sealion Motor Boats For Sale 42ft 6 berth Sealion 42 displacement hull wide beam - Apollo Duck

and another.

There's one at the Temple moorings opposite side to Harleyford - long term owner. Used to have 2 stroke diesels very distinctive sound until re-egined with Nanni's.

Also, apart from the Tough's & Meakes Sea Lions, Beechams at Tewkesbury built "Sea Riders" - looks very similar and also available with a GRP hull (there's one in our marina).

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
Just as a footnote I worked at Toughs back in the 80's, working mainly on police and pilot launches, we used to have to go out to a measured mile just off Southend for speed trials as there was normally a penalty clause if they didn't reach the design speed.
I'd left by the time they moved Brave Goose, that must have been interesting.....

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Even more confusing is that the sealions in post 17 and 18 are different again…..built by Meakes on a steel hull and built before the 9 fibreglass ones and then the Tough’s ones ! :)