Thornycroft Sealion 40

Greg2

Visit site
Had a look at one of these yesterday - 35 years old and blimmin huge compared with my Princess 32. Quite liked it. Anyone know anything about them?

It has Perkins HT6.354 145 HP engines - I know they are old but are they OK?
I seem to recall someone hereabouts commenting on them being a bit thirsty at speed - any idea on fuel consumption? I guess the yardstick of 1mpg at cruising speed won't be far out but what about lower speeds?

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
I have those engines with 165 hp excelnt engines !

Not thirsty at all ! at low revs !

I can not go along at very high revs since there is lots of noise and vibration also they are 23 years old and I do not want them to pack up !

I will take them up to 2000 rpm but normmally cruise at 1500 to 1600 rpm.

They are easy to maintain ! Just chnage oil and filters, just replaced a water pump by Jabsco 300 pounds lighter now. but it is nice that parts are still available !

My engines have only done 1350 hours !

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

Greg2

Visit site
What speed do you get at crising rpm? I am fairly happy not to be thrashing along but like a bit of power available to punch a strong tide and still get somewhere.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
My boat is a semi displacment hull,

Tick over speed around 3 knots, Too fast.

1000 rpm about 5-6 knots.

1500 rpm 8 knots
1600 rpm about 9 knots
1700 rpm about 10 knots

any more rpm and you get loads of noise ! and not much speed but having said that I do need to get a bottom clean( maybe 1 knot)

Check and reparir and clean props maybe 2 knots extra

Check shafts and allign maybe an extra 2 knots.

This boat could do 15 to 17 knots with this engine but would get a bit thirsty

At cruisning speed I do 20 t0 25 litres per hour, this gives my a range of 600 miles.

About 60 hours non stop but I would not do more then say 15 hours at one go !

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

andrewbarker

Visit site
We used to work these engines really, really hard for anything up to 7000 hours. However 1600 - 1800 rpm best running (also at max torque). Excellent unburstable units but, of course, smokey comared to modern ones.

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
Mainly two firms built them, Meakes of Marlow were the main builder, I don't recall the other. When new they were capable of 16/17 knots but now I would think around 12 would be what can be expected. The engines are old smokey but reliable. When new in 1968 they cost £17,375. They were built to a much heavier construction than todays boats. 1MPG at speed is a good guess, add some Molyslip and you will get a bit better, maybe 15% better. Drop down to 8 knots and the engines hardly use any fuel.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

miket

Visit site
Re: J G Meakes Sealion 40

A friend of my parents had 2 of these boats, new in the early 70's.
The first "Tesares" sank in the Thames Estuary, when only a year or two old and was recovered by 2 fishing boats after rolling in and out on a few tides. The insurance company wrote it off but then sold it. It was rebuilt and once again joined Thames Motor Yacht Club at Hampton Court. I'm sure the work was very well done but I wouldn't want it. There was a very good reason why it sank and not the fault of the boat or driver!
The second was "Sea Kate" which he bought having been so impressed with Tesares.
I went on both these boats as a youngster and was very impressed.

Hull originally designed as patrol boat but Meakes had a limited run built to superceed their steel hulled Sealion 42. These had grp superstructures too. Tough Bros then used same hull and put on hugely heavy and to my mind not very attractive timber super'.

When new the Meakes all grp version had a top speed of 16/17 kts, and a superb reputation for seakeeping, which was seconded by my parents friends.

If the engines have been properly maintained and still pull max' rpm I think the 16/17 kts max speed should still be attainable. Assumes hull is not sodden with moisture. I had a Moonraker of similar vintage with same engines and that still did the original speed. Engines did use quite a bit of oil.

Not sure about Mainship's 165 Perkins. Of the era you are talking, the 2 main Perkins engines were 145 or 175 hp and Meakes only used the 145's. They were light metallic blue and not cream, green or anything else.

Super boats, and well made. If I was in that market I wouldn't hesitate, having 1st ensured it was not the old "Tesares".
I know a few of the origonal names of some of the others. Let me know what it is called. I might be able to confirm.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Greg2

Visit site

Thanks - very informative.
One I looked at is called Jenanto. Found another called Youande. Intrigued as to the cause of the sinking...!

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site

I know Youande VERY well. She belongs (belonged?) to a pal of mine. For several years now she has hardly moved and was almost a 'liveaboard'. No idea what she is like today but she used to be well maintained. I have no idea the price being asked but frankly when she was up for sale last year she was grossly over priced.

Greg2

Visit site

I assume she is currently up for sale - I found it in a brokerage in Ramsgate on the web (but I have previous experience of finding out of date ads on the Internet). Youande is (was) advertised at £62 500 - is this the price she was at when you last saw her?

When looking around at what you can get for that money I think it is a bit much. The one I looked at is a bit less (but not much) and I think it is overpriced. Despite otherwise being in goodish condition the gelcoat on the cabin roof/sides is a horrible green colour that is badly faded/powdery - I suppose it could be painted but I am not too keen on that. Can gelcoat be rejuvinated when it is that far gone??

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site

£62k Yes! that's why she's been on the market for over 2 years. Frankly I see her at around £35k at most.

Greg2

Visit site

That's interesting - I don't see £60k+ worth but £35 seems low, but then I sometimes find it dificult to fathom boat prices.
I have been thinking of some Brooms as a benchmark e.g. circa £50k for a European 35 or £55k for a 37 Continental, but maybe they are much better quality, on the fit out at any rate. I did have a look around and there are some very nice boats available at less than £60k - a lot newer too.
Wonder how I might get on with a low offer...nothing lost I suppose

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site

The European commands a high price because apart from build quality it has a cult following. The boat handles like a dream and is admirably suited to inland waters while capable of sea trips too. The Continental and its sister the Ocean are better bets than the European, same build quality, superior accomodation, better size engines and better sea keeping but still a joy to handle at low speeds. I owned an Ocean 37 for 12 years and a European for 4 years. If you look at similar sized boats of the same era from others like Princess and Birchwood (ugh!) they don't have the build quality or space look at the accomodation of a Princess 37 of the same era, compare the accomdation of a Princess 35 and you will see. My Princess 435 which I have recently sold seemed to be only a little bigger inside than a Broom Crown. For my money the Crown is one of the nicest craft ever built but at a price of £70-£85k seem very expensive for a 20-23 year old boat. Howver if I were buying again I would seriously consider one especially if it had the later engines. The design will never date unlike some of today's monstrosities with teardrop windows and Dolphin noses.
Phew! you really got me on my soapbox didn't you.
Make an offer for Younde. You have nothing to lose and she has been hanging around literally for years.

burgundyben

Visit site

They were 145 as dot 0, then dot 1 was 165, effectively a 12% over fuelling, can be done to any 145 by winding up the pump, beyond that they suffer cooling problems and much more, the 175 version is the T6.354GT, it has a different charge cooler and I beleive that many of the internals are different, oil jet cooled pistons and nitrided crank etc.

I've got 2 of them in the Hunstman, they have been rebuilt and run well, not too much smoke, oil pressure does drop to about 1 bar at idle after a long run but recover to 2.5 bar within about a minute as the oil cooler cathes up, spares are still readily available although exhaust manifolds suffer cracks and corrosion and are a 1000 quid a go.....

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

miket

Visit site

Sinking caused by demolition of large commercial ship jettee down the Thames Estuary. (part of the oil refinery at Yantlet flats) by ship not Sealion !!
Monster timber post hit at 16 kts. Boat sank in 5 minutes.

Never heard of either of these. Gay Marion is currently on market around £55k I think (Boats and Yachts, July & August). Most were registered so history of name changes should be available.
Quality was excellent and very comparable to Brooms of same era.

<hr width=100% size=1>

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com

Just looked at the details and I'd go with Byrons valuation, add £5k if you love it, very subject to survey and sea trial. Reading between the lines she's had a bit of soft furnishing work but is overdue a real refit. It's only a guess, but for example who would live with a Valiant water heater these days!

Engine hours at 3500, well its only three years in a truck, but even so they must be fairly well amortised by now so think of the cost of a change, and if you would have to protect them by holding the speed down then it is time for a change.

Apparently no genny, no boat heating (Webasto or similar), and some antique equipment.

Still a nice boat at the right price.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

Greg2

Visit site

Boats and Yachts? Don't know it and all I can find on the web is a magazine in Malta. How can I find the ad?
Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

Greg2

Visit site
Blimey, my old thread resurrected from 2003!

I can’t answer your question accurately but I am taller than you and my recollection (it was a long time ago) is that the height in the saloon wasn’t something that was putting me off the boat.

Alfiwalf

Visit site

I know Youande VERY well. She belongs (belonged?) to a pal of mine. For several years now she has hardly moved and was almost a 'liveaboard'. No idea what she is like today but she used to be well maintained. I have no idea the price being asked but frankly when she was up for sale last year she was grossly over priced.

<hr width=100% size=1>Alexander Advertising International | Digital Marketing | Recruitment Advertising | Wallingford, Oxfordshire | Alexander Advertising International
Hi,

I appreciate that this is a very old post but do you know where Youande is located now please?

Regards,

TonyH