This is hard work!!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I do know what I\'m missing!

I agree with you that a good plotter is a really brilliant aid and so simple. My point is that I don't want any more electronics on board, I have radar and GPS. Besides what am I going to do on a long crossing if I can't plot! Plotting the hourly position takes a maximum of 30 seconds - so why bother? Its something I just don't need. There are plently of other things more important on the list.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Another problem if not religiously making corrections immediately they are issued is that some are only temporary. A few years ago it seems that many Irish lighthouses and fog signals were undergoing refurbishment. A temporary alternative was installed while the main unit was withdrawn for service. We made many corrections based upon the NMs of one quarter, then had to change them all back for the next. Doing all on the same night made it doubly frustrating.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Plotting

No - I have never seen the point of range and bearing when its dead easy to plot from the co-ordinates. - Just takes practice - surely the method of using a bearing to a waypoint such as a compass rose, only introduces a bearing error which is exagertate the further you are from the waypoint?

Gunfleet

Visit site

v. intersting. We must have very different mental landscapes. I find plotting co-ordinates a heaven sent opportunity to get something wrong. I have to check everything ten times. That's obviously why I think the Yeoman is the couilles de chien and you think it's ballast!

G

SOLAS

Some wonder why SOLAS do not accept some methods that we use ...

SAFETY OF LIFE AT SEA .... SOLAS

Consider that jumping into a liferaft etc. - normally does not have the luxury of electrical power to power your chart plotter etc. etc.

The easy way to consider what is acceptable .... apart from a definitive list of course is :

If it is manual and accepted / inaugurated by a National Marine Authority ... SOLAS will generally add to their list. If its dependent on other factors then its often left out !!!!!

C-Map cartridges, irrespective of their immense value and cost are a luxury and by definition do not replace Officially the Paper Chart ....

Chris_Robb

Visit site

When I learnt to navigate 6 years ago, I never new about the short cut of using a waypoint for plotting, so did it the only way I knew - plotting form the GPS position. As I made so many mistakes - going overland on many occaisions - I suppose I just practised and practiosed. If you do make a mistake, it always seems to scream at you, as you are not where you expected the next hourly plot to be. 30 seconds to plot might be a little on the short side, but no more than a minute.