This forum is costing me a fortune ...

AHoy2

Visit site
in recommendations for items that I/the boat really really need.

Well:
- my sail trimming ability is rubbish so the recommended book by Ivor Dedekam is now being studied (good it is too);
- I needed to swat up on my astro nav so Astro-nav from Square One by Alan Murray has been read and re-read to good effect;
- my 1970s Ebco sextant was then obviously not up to the mark, so an Astra 3B was obtained;
- a possible sail to Brest later in the year means Bloc Marine Atlantique has been added to the pilotage library;
- a decent torch was required on board, tough, waterproof, last forever on batteries - fenix it is then;
- SW radio, has to be the Sony if I stand a chance of getting those forecasts and time signals when I eventually get ocean bound;
- oh, and marina/anchorage wifi reception was rubbish until I obtained a recommended booster (necessary for staying on-line to check the latest forum suggestions).

At least I can counter the Financial Controllers ire by refering to the forum and showing that I am getting the best money can buy for such essentials.

Not made any decisions on liferafts, anchors (still got a CQR clone), sails, mattress underlays, YM Ocean course etc. etc. yet.

Ah well, must get on with studying the recommendations for more essential items - keep them coming.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Have you considered you might need a bigger boat?? :D :D :D

No problem, his smaller bank balance will leave him loads of room for it.

You Should read Shane Acton's Shrimpy or Webb Chile's Chiddeock Tichbourne or Roger Taylor's Voyages of a Simple Sailor, or the Strange Voyage of Jack de Crow. Then you will understand that you can probably throw all that stuff away. :p

chinita

Visit site
in recommendations for items that I/the boat really really need.

Well:
- my sail trimming ability is rubbish so the recommended book by Ivor Dedekam is now being studied (good it is too);
- I needed to swat up on my astro nav so Astro-nav from Square One by Alan Murray has been read and re-read to good effect;
- my 1970s Ebco sextant was then obviously not up to the mark, so an Astra 3B was obtained;
- a possible sail to Brest later in the year means Bloc Marine Atlantique has been added to the pilotage library;
- a decent torch was required on board, tough, waterproof, last forever on batteries - fenix it is then;
- SW radio, has to be the Sony if I stand a chance of getting those forecasts and time signals when I eventually get ocean bound;
- oh, and marina/anchorage wifi reception was rubbish until I obtained a recommended booster (necessary for staying on-line to check the latest forum suggestions).

At least I can counter the Financial Controllers ire by refering to the forum and showing that I am getting the best money can buy for such essentials.

Not made any decisions on liferafts, anchors (still got a CQR clone), sails, mattress underlays, YM Ocean course etc. etc. yet.

Ah well, must get on with studying the recommendations for more essential items - keep them coming.

For God's sake don't start reading PBO Forum. You will **** yourself at your paucity of knowledge and imagine all the faults and problems apply to you.

Rather like a hypochondriac reading NHS Direct.

Lakesailor

Visit site
You must adopt a cynical attitude.

Any answers to queries that involve reading, training, equipment, training, professionals, training or memberships (did I mention training) should be dismissed with a knowing "Fools. They have been conned" shrug of the shoulders.

Minimal boating.