Things don't change much

claymore

Visit site
Things don\'t change much

Watched the news last night and saw the shots of someone taking planks of wood from the beach in Whitsand Bay. We don't seem to have progressed much from the days of the wreckers. It seemed worse being able to see the stranded ship in the background somehow.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Re: Things don\'t change much

So what do you suggest is done with all the tens of thousands of planks? Will HMCG recover them all or will they all be left to float away on the next spring tide and cause horrendous problems to local small craft.

Have just seen a report on the local news and these planks are piled yards high over a large stretch of the coastline. I suppose they could make a good base for a mega beach bbq.

PS will be down that way on Thursday, orders for pine planks now being taken, special discounts for bulk!

claymore

Visit site

I wonder how she'd feel about receiving me then - do I just cast myself on some shore and wait for her to turn up - mind you- I'm not too keen on becoming property of the Crown, unless of course thats the Crown at High Newton.

claymore

Visit site

Oh, very droll. Been overdoing the millet have we - anyway, perhaps you could get a few together for tcm's coffin.

coliholic

Visit site

Oh thanks LJ, put me down for 8 feet of 2x1 to fend off these women who keep attcking me. And make sure it's straight grain with no knots in it, don't want any old crap stuff.

If you could also find a bit that'd fit over the hole that Haydn's fag burned in Matts carpet, that'd be good too. Oh and enough to make a pretty chess board on MVII, so thirty two pieces in a nice light wood about 2 inches square and the same in a dark wood.

Thanks for the offer, it's really good of you to go to this much trouble for all forum members.

Whilst your down there perhaps you can bury that old parrot at the same time.

johndf

Visit site
Wreckers

So that's who Tony Blair was talking about in his speech. There were the Unions thinking it was them, poor old Ian and Duncan (both of them) thinking it was them, but it was actually people pinching wood off a Cornish beach - are they really that big a threat to New Labour's New Britain?

G

You won't find much left on the beaches come Thursday, m'dear. Us 'as picked most of it up already!
Just to put things right - the wind was so strong it kept blowing my wrecker's lantern out, so don't blame us. Anyway, you are allowed to take anything from the wreck which comes ashore as long as you declare it to that nice Receiver of Wrecks lady. If you don't you could be in for a £2,500 fine. Presumably the owners could reclaim what you have declared at some later date, or send you a bill!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site

so the mca tells them all off, and the receiver of rex says they should 'fess up like good guys. But if it was stinky crude coming ashore, and the lads was shovelling it all up, they'd be local heroes, cleaning the beaches.

Would you prefer a single standard sir, or a double?

Bergman

Visit site
Re: A question

What does the Receiver of Wreck do inbetween wrecks.

There can't be enough to keep someone employed full time surely.

Particularly as most people seem to ignore her (him)

G

Re: A question

Before 1993 the role of Receiver of Wreck was the responsibility of Customs & Excise. Since then the role has become a function of the MCA HQ at Southampton.