The where can i liveaboard thats not the uk thread.

capnsensible

Visit site
Lots of liveaboards depart from their grim north European homelands to seek the sun and adventures. It seems that its getting difficult in the uk. But many nationss welcome the sea gypsies despite visa and time restricted regulations. Those currently cruising will know about this, 90 days in many places is a typical limit.
So this thread is most certainly not for the politics, but about places where real people live on their yachts hassle free plus any tips on visa extensions, etc.

I can start with mainland Spain. Lots of marinas have people living on their yachts. Here are some that I have either stayed in myself or know firsthand of people that do.

Ayamonte, Rota, barbatte, la linea, estepona, Puerto Banus, Benelmadena, St. Carles, plus, of course, Gibraltar although berthing there is getting very tight. Across the Straits there is a welcome in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta.

My request is that people can feel free to add to this beginners guide, if it turns out to be popular, I can certainly add plenty of others around the Atlantic and beyond!

Thanks all.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If I may carry on where Cap left off .
Many Med marinas don't have any objections of people living on board, although many cruiser are only full time and only in the marina during the winter ,
Most winter contract start 1st Oct till the end of March some till the end of April .

Some of the popular once further in the Med are on Sicily mostly on the south coast there also a couple in Sardinia , the rest tend to be in Greece and now with British boats Turkey .

Unlike marinas in the UK there lots of stuff organised from Yoga/keep fit to walk BBQ to happy hours , some will have nights where skippers will get togather to lean new skills and then there the pontoon sales , so lots going on ,

What pissing marinas off is when pontoon are block with equipment or dinghy items bolts onto the pontoon and bikes all this just bring in complaints to the office which they have to deal with .

www.gallantspirit.com
I am currently wintering in Povoa Da Varzim Portugal , the new berths in the North part of the harbour are good ( south side part of marina not recommended in winter ) facilities are good and the town is really good with easy links to Porto.
Last year in Portugal I did in Lisbon at marina Parq das Nacoes, plenty of liveaboards great atmosphere, I only headed north for a major refit

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
Plenty of long term liveaboards here in the Algarve. The marinas offer very long term deals, e.g. 5yr contracts, and a lot of people have satellite dishes bolted to the pontoon.

Bajansailor

Visit site
And for folk who cross the pond, liveaboard yachts are welcomed in the islands here - although there are a couple of private marinas here in Barbados where they do not even allow the odd overnight stay, even for the berth holders, and visiting yachts are only welcome if they are moored there while their owners go away.
In all of the islands out here marinas are generally few and far between, and anchoring is the norm - apart from Barbados in my signature, the Doyle Guides cover all the other islands as well, with free summaries on the web page.

You can see in this Marinetraffic link a veritable armada of yachts currently storming across with the tradewinds -
MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

Wansworth

Visit site
And for folk who cross the pond, liveaboard yachts are welcomed in the islands here - although there are a couple of private marinas here in Barbados where they do not even allow the odd overnight stay, even for the berth holders, and visiting yachts are only welcome if they are moored there while their owners go away.
In all of the islands out here marinas are generally few and far between, and anchoring is the norm - apart from Barbados in my signature, the Doyle Guides cover all the other islands as well, with free summaries on the web page.

You can see in this Marinetraffic link a veritable armada of yachts currently storming across with the tradewinds -
MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic
Your ina republic now I hear

Bajansailor

Visit site
Your ina republic now I hear
Gosh, so the news has even reached Galicia!
Yes, at the risk of Fred Drift, we are a republic now, but in actual fact I doubt that anything will effectively change, apart from now having to change all the stationery and epaulettes of the Royal Barbados Police Force (they are now becoming the Barbados Police Service).
Oh, and the Coastguard patrol boats are getting new ensigns - the current ones are like the British white ensign, but with a Bajan flag inset rather than a Union Jack.
There is lots on line about us being the newest republic, but I rather like this video on the BBC, by a lady whose Mum is Bajan, so she has strong connections here.
Barbados prepares to cut ties with the Queen

Wansworth

Visit site
Gosh, so the news has even reached Galicia!
Yes, at the risk of Fred Drift, we are a republic now, but in actual fact I doubt that anything will effectively change, apart from now having to change all the stationery and epaulettes of the Royal Barbados Police Force (they are now becoming the Barbados Police Service).
Oh, and the Coastguard patrol boats are getting new ensigns - the current ones are like the British white ensign, but with a Bajan flag inset rather than a Union Jack.
There is lots on line about us being the newest republic, but I rather like this video on the BBC, by a lady whose Mum is Bajan, so she has strong connections here.
Barbados prepares to cut ties with the Queen
Oh Galicia is a veritable hub!

capnsensible

Visit site
Any Portugal advice capsensible? (y)
There are some regular Portugese fans on here. I can say where I've seen liveaboards, they will correct me I'm sure!

Lots of Algarve marinas seem happy. I know for sure Lagos, villa Real, Albufuera. Met people. I'm sure there are more. There are a few at anchor right up the river between Spain and Portugal.
On the West coat, I understand that Nazare is an option.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Martin - is it Bajan or Barbadian? I always thought it was Bajan (as you have written).

Fond memories of our Christmas there back in '94.

Both Bajan and Barbadian are equally correct - Bajan is sort of an abbreviation for Barbadian.
Barbados is also known as 'Bimshire' (the shire being a reference to how the island never changed hands over the years, unlike most of the Windward and Leeward Islands, which changed ownership between the British, French and Spanish occasionally).

I also arrived (almost) by sea here in '94 - I had sailed out to Antigua from Brittany via Porto Santo and Tenerife, and then hitched a lift down to Bequia with some pals who were heading south for Christmas, and then finally came the last 100 miles to windward on a LIAT puddle jumper from St Vincent.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I am currently wintering in Povoa Da Varzim Portugal , the new berths in the North part of the harbour are good ( south side part of marina not recommended in winter ) facilities are good and the town is really good with easy links to Porto.
Last year in Portugal I did in Lisbon at marina Parq das Nacoes, plenty of liveaboards great atmosphere, I only headed north for a major refit
Where are you getting the refit? Povoa and Nacoes both excellent in their own ways!

capnsensible

Visit site
Moving on to the Canary Islands.

Lanzarotte. All three marinas. Fuertaventura, Gran Tarajal. Gran Canaria, Puerto Mogan.

There may be others but these I know for sure.