the wash - questions

macnorton

Visit site
Who do they "book" this through?

Is this with the services of a pilot, and travelling together? and is there any other vessels accompanying them?

I'm just trying to build up a picture of how this works.

thanks.

They will be taken over in a group by a pilot/s which is pre-booked, and then it is dependant on the weather. they could be round Peterborough for days/weeks waiting for the right weather window.
I understand they will go across the flats at HW, and not via the Freeman chnl.

I met this one in the wash a few years ago?
http://www.nb-progress.com/index.htm

Applescruffs

Visit site
Good book to read of a narrow boat motored accross the English Channel into the French canals and eventually Carcasson, title: "Narrow dog to Carcasson" sorry to say that I have forgotten the author, so yes ...there are intrepid folk out there.
Here's a Wash question myself:

I'm gradualy researching a retirement project of buying a narrowboat and exploring the whole UK inland waterway network.

To try and push that to the limit, I've read of people taking narrowboats out from Boston, across the wash and into the River Welland.

Do you see that often?

Have you heard of narrowboats being even more adventerous and trying to make the crossing to the River Nene or even the Great Ouse?

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Good book to read of a narrow boat motored accross the English Channel into the French canals and eventually Carcasson, title: "Narrow dog to Carcasson" sorry to say that I have forgotten the author, so yes ...there are intrepid folk out there.

Terry Darlington.

Narrow dog to Indian River (the US Intracoastal waterway) is also available and I believe Narrow Dog to Wigan Pier will be published next year.

Highly recommended.

tdw

Visit site
Having stumbled onto that donut thingy on G Earth I'm utterly fascinated by the thing. Virtually nothing about it on the net, even that BBC link no longer workds. Would love to see more pics.

tdw

Visit site
The donut thingy is now a very noisy bird sanctuary,the racket from those birds is very loud,its also off limits from about april to august.

Thanks so much. Its such an intriguing object and its hard to believe there is not more information wafting about in the wubbleyouverse.

macnorton

Visit site
Update

"They will be taken over in a group by a pilot/s which is pre-booked,
I understand they will go across the flats at HW, and not via the Freeman chnl"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are app a dosen NB's heading for wisbech Tomorrow intending to head for Boston, I understand that Lynn pilots are taking them over.

They are a good (if not a bit mad?) bunch so give them a wave if you see them, esp the pink and white one?

SimonA

Visit site
Having stumbled onto that donut thingy on G Earth I'm utterly fascinated by the thing. Virtually nothing about it on the net, even that BBC link no longer workds. Would love to see more pics.

Taken when I was out sailing with Dylan. These are from a long way off so not the best photographs.
trialbank.jpg

trialbank2.jpg

tdw

Visit site
Simon, thanks so much for that. Love the black and white. In this dy of whizz bang digital you see it all to infrequently.

Trust you enjoyed your sail on the mighty Slug.

The doughtnut is a truely amazing piece of work. Something quintessentially English about it. Utterly insane but aren't you glad they did it.