The used boat market

robinborton

Visit site
From what I hear the market is tough but is it any worse than usual?when's the best time to find a buyer,should I wait til spring?and is a broker the best bet
Thanks
Robin

longjohnsilver

Visit site
It all depends! What are you looking to sell, how quickly do you want to sell and how involved do you want to be?

G

I too am in the selling market, advertised my boat in Boats and yachts for sale, no calls for first week, then boom!, calls coming in now, showing boat to 2 people on Saturday so not abad start, I am in the marine trade as engineer also sold last 4 boats private and bought private too so know what to look for and who's who etc, well not been caught yet anyway...., if the boats abroad then you may as well use a broker but if you are prepared to travel and expect timewasters then saving 8% plus vat is all worth it to me anyway, brokers call to try and get in on the act but mainstream british built boats in good condition hold their money and sell well anyway, so wish me luck at the weekend and good luck to you too.

Paul js.

oldgit

Visit site
Buying and selling at the mo.just had a chap come to look at my present boat(princess 25)and selling privately.However in the buying dept I have on my little list about 20 princess 30ds/33 none of which seem to have moved from brokers listings since november.But this weekend I had my first broker suggest that he believed that the sort of price I had in mind for a particuler boat might actually buy it.I think it all depends if your boat is sought after.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I think the market is tough, reflecting the parlous state of some areas in the UK economy but, perversely, the new boat market still seems to be holding up. Maybe its a case of the rich always get richer
I bought a boat last spring and a couple I looked at then are still on the market now and they're supposed to be good sellers. However, there are buyers about and providing the boat is in good condition and fairly priced, it should sell. The used boat buying season starts after the London Boat Show, so, if you want to sell your boat and buy another before the new season, you need to start right now
If you have a popular boat and you're willing to spend the time showing your boat to mostly timewasters then try selling it privately but if you live a long way from your boat then you'll have to be prepared to spend time travelling to and fro. If you're going to use a broker try to use one that specializes in your type of boat and is active in the market (ask around, see how many ads he places, is his listing on the net). He may ask you to move your boat to his marina which is probably worth doing. You can try bargaining the commission down. Some will settle for 6% if they think the boat's going to sell quickly

ChrisW

Visit site
Boats and Yachts magazine is definately a start to sell your boat privately. Another good source of customer enquiries is yachtworld.com. I am finding that we are getting more enquiries from northern European countries then anywhere else at present. Working as a broker myself may I advise that should you go through a broker, choose one which comes reccomended, is a member of the AYBA and be sure to read the contract carefully.

When showing your boat, open her up at least an hour before the clients come, make sure she is not damp, open curtains, and give her a good clean and tidy up. Also try and sell to the woman if it is a couple. You be amazed how many sales I have lost because she didn't like the upholstery. : )

Medskipper

Visit site
It all depends on what your boat is worth! I sold my boat last July for 30k, a dealer would have charged me 10 percent i.e. 3k. I placed one advert in the old boats and planes mag (cant recall what new names is?) which cost £120 for two months, this incuded a good sized picture of the boat and I sold it after two months! so I would say try to sell it yourself first. The RYA supply a free legally worded document which you both have to sign when the sale is completed. Good Luck, Barry.