The UK yachtie friendliness index

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I’m not sure that I have enough UK experience to make a judgement, having only covered the East Coast to the Scillies. I would say that there is no great difference between areas and we have had good and less good experiences everywhere. Among yachties, I think the same is true in most countries. We have made friends with Dutch, Belgians, Germans, Danes and Swedes, in some cases staying in touch for years. The one exception has been France. I would say that we have always been well received by those shore, but we have never formed a relationship with sailors, in Normandy and N Brittany. I have heard that S Brittany may be different.
Whether it’s geographic or not, we are still in touch, over 30 years later, with a couple of Dart 18 sailors we met at the Europeans in 1992-ish in Carnac. They live in Vannes.

wully1

Visit site
Bought my previous boat down in the Solent - which is a crappy place to sail IMHO and we couldn’t get out fast enough.

BUT, the folks we met were without exception friendly, helpful , knowledgeable and we enjoyed the time spent there, maybe because it was early spring the numpties has yet to arrive en mass from Londonshire?

Stemar

Visit site
I’m very friendly as long as you’re not on a jet ski.
I don't even mind the jet skis as long as they're considerate.

It does happen, I've seen them at a safe distance from other boats having loads of fun jumping wakes. It's only the arse who powers through moorings or anchorages that I want to keelhaul.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I don't even mind the jet skis as long as they're considerate.

It does happen, I've seen them at a safe distance from other boats having loads of fun jumping wakes. It's only the arse who powers through moorings or anchorages that I want to keelhaul.
True. We have a group who visit Gossips cafe regularly. They motor though the XOD moorings very carefully, upsetting nobody. If only that was majority behaviour.