The Thames. War and Rumours of War.

oldgit

Visit site
Have just been made aware that a few RCC club boats have cancelled previously arranged trips round to the Thames due to rumours of the difficulty of finding spaces on the packed moorings and the long ques at water points.
They now intend spending their money on the desolate storm tossed wastelands of the East coast.

Personally this suits me fine, it gives me more chance of finding an empty mooring, less boats in front of me at the water points and a better chance of getting into my favorite restuarant (or pop up cafe) .

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
What total unmitigated nonsense. You do the Thames no favours by spouting such rubbish and it wouldn’t surprise me if you’ve “assisted” said rumours to try and keep our wonderful waterway to yourself.
Sure, we have a few “problems” but we Thames boaters are well used to rising above it all
So cover up the name of your boat, don’t read any of the seditious notices at various mooring spots and keep moving at high speed to create as much wash as possible and you should be fine. Hopefully you won’t come across too many lockies or river inspectors to spoil your holiday. Don’t stay too long ……

Mark26

Visit site
I can only agree with Boatone.

The honey spots will always be busy on nice days, but on a recent two week trip fromTedd to Oxford and back, the only place we found full was Marlow which one expects due to not many moorings.

I never saw any ques at water points, and there are plenty of other places where one can obtain fresh water - I think they are called Marinas.

oldgit

Visit site
What total unmitigated nonsense.

Agree absolutely .

Was sitting in the clubhouse when this was actively being discussed, did go on at some considerable length to suggest that the rumours were total tosh and were a gross distortion of the actual situation.
Explained that OG was in frequent contact with boaters on the actual Thames and from their accounts things were more or less as normal.

Look forward to seeing you . Mr Grumpy. :)

New water taps

Last edited:

Mark26

Visit site
A tip…
…you may have a large fuel tank, you may not need any fuel or be able to squeeze much in, but buy fuel, even a small amount, from any marina and they’d be happy to let you top up your fresh water tanks at the same time.

I do just that and pay £0.89 per litre from Better Boating, downstream of Caversham Lock, whenever I pass.

Don’t tell everyone, but there is a tap to which you can attach a hose and it doesn’t have the EAs back flow protection thingy, in the middle of Mill Meadows, Henley. But you will have to be extremely lucky to moor right next to it. For clarity, it is not a river water point, so people can moor next to it, and you should not be asking them to move. But if you get lucky with the mooring spot, it is very useful.

Scapegoat

Visit site
We went out for a short trip yesterday and there was plenty of space on the Egham towpath moorings and on the NT at Runnymede. Granted the weather this week hasn’t been great but it is July ?

Scapegoat

Visit site
Goody , a visit to Italian concept has been pencilled in .
Great minds! Went there too ?

if you haven’t tried the Montanare and can ignore the calorie count, they are quite something

Attachments

• E0204809-75F4-48FB-9F5A-52D53A0D0819.jpeg
    E0204809-75F4-48FB-9F5A-52D53A0D0819.jpeg
    544.8 KB · Views: 11

Old Crusty

Visit site
Have just been made aware that a few RCC club boats have cancelled previously arranged trips round to the Thames due to rumours of the difficulty of finding spaces on the packed moorings and the long ques at water points.
They now intend spending their money on the desolate storm tossed wastelands of the East coast.

Personally this suits me fine, it gives me more chance of finding an empty mooring, less boats in front of me at the water points and a better chance of getting into my favorite restuarant (or pop up cafe) .

Its all fine now, the EA has hired Jack Aubrey to hunt down and sink, burn or take as a prize, any marauders coming through Teddytown Lock.