The Thames Canal

Parabordi

Visit site
We like Thames water, it is so soft , not like the hard chalky stuff here on the Mudway.
Ps. We do wash down here at least once a month........... wether we need to or not. !
While you are waiting hours to fill your tank, will give you time to oil that teak deck of yours!?

Quint

Visit site
Although it is fair to say that not everybody that uses the Thames public moorings take liberties overstaying their welcome etc . It’s obvious that some people couldn’t care less about other boaters as long as they’re alright .

Attachments

• 0D55DF54-6C99-4EAF-8C5A-12683739AB56.jpeg
    0D55DF54-6C99-4EAF-8C5A-12683739AB56.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 95
  • D2114822-74C1-4E2E-B915-849960C1F2EA.jpeg
    D2114822-74C1-4E2E-B915-849960C1F2EA.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 81

Time Out

Visit site
Although it is fair to say that not everybody that uses the Thames public moorings take liberties overstaying their welcome etc . It’s obvious that some people couldn’t care less about other boaters as long as they’re alright .

Ha ! I wondered where they had gone. I cannot see how they are legal, in particular insurance. Still that means fewer day hires (hour hires !) on our stretch.

oldgit

Visit site
Thames boaters propose their preferred method of obtaining potable water .
Some debate regards the construction of the bucket, wood or leather and the direction of lowering /raising of the bucket.
Suggestions of devising a more up to date method of providing water have been dismissed as being far to modern for us.
If it was good enough for Nelson it will be good enough for me.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
While you are waiting hours to fill your tank, will give you time to oil that teak deck of yours!?
Forth Bridge syndrome ?

My cunning plan is to leave the teak until it is uniformly stained with crisps,biscuit , wine/beer and tea stains until an interesting uniform brownish colour.
However if you feel the need, you are most welcome to pop across the pontoon and undertake some sort of cleaning regime on a regular basis on my behalf.
The keys are not hidden in the gas locker.

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
Thames boaters propose their preferred method of obtaining potable water .
Some debate regards the construction of the bucket, wood or leather and the direction of lowering /raising of the bucket.
Suggestions of devising a more up to date method of providing water have been dismissed as being far to modern for us.
If it was good enough for Nelson it will be good enough for me.
I dare you big boy to try filling your boat just once from a lock water point, piece of cake right?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Would be interested to know how many here regard water supplies on the river as potable i.e. drinkable. I happily fill my tanks with water from EA outlets and marinas but rarely use it for drinking unless boiled for tea, coffee etc. and we carry bottled water.
In the main it us used for domestic (washing up) and bathroom purposes.
However, the current supply problem is nothing to do with quality. Its a consequence of the non tidal Thames being a Category 5 polluted waterway. It took the EA 20 years to recognise the need to comply with regulations introduced in 1999 requiring special measures to protect the supply from reverse contamination. Whilst there are commercially available solutions suitable for filling small containers (non return valves and the recently introduced stainless steel follies) there are no simple low cost systems fit for purpose for filling bulk tanks. EA have no statutory duty to provide fresh water to river users and theres no current budget to cover such a requirement.
So, can the combined and undoubted wisdom of the forum offer a solution? How many would contribute to s Friends of the Thames Charity to raise funds for such improvements?

Parabordi

Visit site
Would be interested to know how many here regard water supplies on the river as potable i.e. drinkable. I happily fill my tanks with water from EA outlets and marinas but rarely use it for drinking unless boiled for tea, coffee etc. and we carry bottled water.
In the main it us used for domestic (washing up) and bathroom purposes.
However, the current supply problem is nothing to do with quality. Its a consequence of the non tidal Thames being a Category 5 polluted waterway. It took the EA 20 years to recognise the need to comply with regulations introduced in 1999 requiring special measures to protect the supply from reverse contamination. Whilst there are commercially available solutions suitable for filling small containers (non return valves and the recently introduced stainless steel follies) there are no simple low cost systems fit for purpose for filling bulk tanks. EA have no statutory duty to provide fresh water to river users and theres no current budget to cover such a requirement.
So, can the combined and undoubted wisdom of the forum offer a solution? How many would contribute to s Friends of the Thames Charity to raise funds for such improvements?
Why not demand what you have said yourself, get the EA to ask the water board for a workable solution? If there is none the law is obviously going to be broken. Charity - pah, so they can waste more money on buffonery. No chance. By the way this is not an EU thing, on recent cruising in NL, hoses everywhere and the water is just as full of turds.

Quint

Visit site
Water water everywhere my main concern is what seems to be the complete lack of pump out Services provided by the EA Along almost the entire length of the Thames with very few exceptions ?

oldgit

Visit site
I dare you big boy to try filling your boat just once from a lock water point, piece of cake right?

Normally try to fill up at Molesley and then at the lock just before Cookham ? and to date have never had any problems with a budget hoselock connector and pipe or endured any long waits last year.
The was an enourmous que at the lock above Windsor last year so we just kept going..
We do of course take the opportunity fill up at every marina we happen to stay at, usually Penton Hook or Harleyford.
The new little ship has 2 x 40 gallon freshwater tanks .

Parabordi

Visit site
Normally try to fill up at Molesley and then at the lock just before Cookham ? and to date have never had any problems with a budget hoselock connector and pipe or endured any long waits last year.
The was an enourmous que at the lock above Windsor last year so we just kept going..
We do of course take the opportunity fill up at every marina we happen to stay at, usually Penton Hook or Harleyford.
The new little ship has 2 x 40 gallon freshwater tanks .
Two narrowboat crews today at Cleeve turned to being lock keepers to help pass the time.

Portland Billy

Visit site
Seems to be a solution looking for a problem.
Over thirty years cruising and no issues with the old system. Just make sure you flush the hose through before and after use.
A few germs enhances the immune system.

oldgit

Visit site
"You have to eat a peck of dirt in a lifetime (or before you die)"

Demands for "Pecks" and "Rods" to be used in all EA communications on the Thames, next ! :)

Barge

Visit site
EA have no statutory duty to provide fresh water to river users
If the EA is not able to offer a solution to the supply of water within the regulations, there seems to be a implied threat that they could remove the facility. Has that statement been confirmed with the water supplier or the ombudsman?

Other threads that may be of interest