The Thames Canal

lenten

Visit site
flynbarr-------thats npt true-----i worked at the thames conservancy wharf at sunbury-----twice a week a tug pulled 2 barges of grain to the wey navigation-----narrow boats commercial or otherwise were a rarity

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Not that many years ago there were over 15,000 powered craft registered on the non tidal Thames. Today its less than 8,500. Without the narrow boats there would be even less revenue reaching the EA coffers. I'm seeing quite a lot of exaggerated views re the number of "nose to tail Nbs and liveabopards. Yes, ether are some hot spots - Kingstion/Sunbury, Reading, Oxford but its certainly not riverwide.
As someone else has said, boaters being prepared to raft alongside each other at busy time in popular locations would solve the moorings issue at a stroke. Club boats cruising in company do it but it would appear that nmooring next to a stranger is somehow unthinkable.
EA did try a short lived experiment and produced "Welcome' To Moor Alongside" stickers but hey only gave us one each ! The "new" managers don't seem to think its something they should promote.

Time boaters realised that many of the problems we castigate the EA for - lack of moorings, overhanging trees, speeding, antisocial behaviour - could be alleviated if we were more tolerant and helpful.

Last edited:

Gavin E

Visit site
We’re in one of those 40ft gin palaces and use it pretty much every weekend - and never really have much problem finding a mooring. We often head out with others and we’re happy to raft up on busier weekends?
We did upset one rather odd chap in his 60ft narrowboat when we refused to let him raft up onto us. Apparently the fact that we were in the middle of nowhere and there was plenty of room either behind or in front of us was lost on him - he said he only wanted to stop for a while and it would be so much easier if he could just rub up against us for a while and not have to bother with mooring pins and the like…. We got swore at and everything….

Flynnbarr

Visit site
flynbarr-------thats npt true-----i worked at the thames conservancy wharf at sunbury-----twice a week a tug pulled 2 barges of grain to the wey navigation-----narrow boats commercial or otherwise were a rarity

Maybe read up on your history of the Thames….I’ll let you off though we are talking about way way back…..before even the reign of the entitled boomer :)

The river is for everyone and as a lockie told me years ago…if it wasn’t for the narrowboats we’d have nothing to do lock wise most of the summer.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Flynnbarr -:what happened in the historical past has no bearing whatsoever on the current situation.

What history should teach us is that nothing stays the same….
I can remember the times…..as you probably can.…
that if you weren’t moored up in a popular spot by Friday afternoon you didn’t get a spot…..queuing at Bray lock for long stretches,boats back beyond the M4 bridge…..ATYC rally at Kingston boats rafted out 3/4 deep all the way along….
How many boats at the last ATYC rally was there?…..
Times change,use of the river has changed….just walked Marlow to Spade Oak…..extremely quiet boat wise and it’s going to be a scorcher this weekend but loads of paddle boards,kayaks,dinghys,day boats.

Whitlock

Visit site

rotrax

Visit site

Not so.

Before the really bad winter of 1963 many narrowboats used the Thames between Oxford and Brentford. It was the swansong as many owner operators went bust during the three and a half month freeze in 1963. I well remember fishing at Canbury Gardens watching them going downstream. IIRC the Hones operated a pair of working boats from Abingdon and another pair were based at Bablockhythe just below Newbridge.

We locked down to Brentford with a working pair operated by 'Three Fellows Carrying' where we both went upstream to Oxford in our case and Teddington in their case. This was in 1974.

lenten

Visit site
during the winter of 1963 the tug and 2 grain barges kept a passage clear to go up to the river wey-----the ice eventually thickened to 10 inches-----i i was in charge of checking the barge moorings-----i swept and kept the barges clear of snow----towards the end of the freeze up seagulls would roost on the bare steel and freeze to death stuck to the decks ----i would have to shovel them off in the morning

rotrax

Visit site
during the winter of 1963 the tug and 2 grain barges kept a passage clear to go up to the river wey-----the ice eventually thickened to 10 inches-----i i was in charge of checking the barge moorings-----i swept and kept the barges clear of snow----towards the end of the freeze up seagulls would roost on the bare steel and freeze to death stuck to the decks ----i would have to shovel them off in the morning

Bert Thorne and the workshop staff from the famous competition motorcycle dealer Commerfords at Thames Ditton rode four trials bikes from Richmond to IIRC Maidenhead, mostly on the frozen river. I was ice skating on all the local ponds which were frozen to at least a foot thick.

Quint

Visit site
Lady Lindsey’s Lawn Shepperton today from one end to the other the entire length wall to wall Live aboard narrowboats with one exception the guy with all the big floating swans and peddlers that was thrown out of Kingston has made it his new home base no doubt for the entire length of the summer good luck to anybody else that would like to more there for a day or even an afternoon .

Barge

Visit site
Lady Lindsey’s Lawn Shepperton today from one end to the other the entire length wall to wall Live aboard narrowboats with one exception the guy with all the big floating swans and peddlers that was thrown out of Kingston has made it his new home base no doubt for the entire length of the summer good luck to anybody else that would like to more there for a day or even an afternoon .
And if it was wall to wall cruisers there would be no room for narrowboats.

Barge

Visit site
And these other boats don't?

Perhaps if you spent more time on your boat rather than moaning on forums you might beat them to the prime spots.

Quint

Visit site
So if the Canal’s were bumper to bumper with cruisers not moving week in week out you would be perfectly ok with that yes !

oldgit

Visit site
Am so looking forward to our sojourn on the Golden Pond in a week or two.
ETA details available on a need to know basis only.
My bowthruster and generator are in rude health and the freshwater tanks on the new boat put the tanks on the average widebeam to shame.
Have a very small bore hosepipe with a bog standard hoselock fitting.
Have also just discovered the music system on the boat allows irritating music to be played on the flybridge at considerable volumes.
Please do not hesitate to moor nearbye should you feel so inclined.
Our stay is subject to the usual conditions ie. I get bored or damage something.

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
Am so looking forward to our sojourn on the Golden Pond in a week or two.
ETA details available on a need to know basis only.
My bowthruster and generator are in rude health and the freshwater tanks on the new boat put the tanks on the average widebeam to shame.
Have a very small bore hosepipe with a bog standard hoselock fitting.
Have also just discovered the music system on the boat allows irritating music to be played on the flybridge at considerable volumes.
Please do not hesitate to moor nearbye should you feel so inclined.
Our stay is subject to the usual conditions ie. I get bored or damage something.
Passed Cleeve waterpoint the other day and the narrowboat there held up their hose, drip drip drip (bit like the schmuck that designed the system)

oldgit

Visit site
Passed Cleeve waterpoint the other day and the narrowboat there held up their hose, drip drip drip (bit like the schmuck that designed the system)

We like Thames water, it is so soft , not like the hard chalky stuff here on the Mudway.
Ps. We do wash down here at least once a month........... wether we need to or not. !

Other threads that may be of interest