The return of the cruiser racer....?

flaming

Visit site

flaming

Visit site
Did it ever go away? Bendytoy have been pushing a range of cruiser racers for years surely?

Both the boats you identified look good but not really what I want

That was the point of the previous thread. Beneteau have dropped the first range, and most other manufacturers had done likewise.

What is it about these boats that you don't like?

dunedin

Visit site
At lot of money on a boat to get bashed round the race course.

And doesn’t solve the issue that to cruise needs a lot of heavy stuff that would need to be shifted off before going racing and on before cruising.
Racing and occasional overnight trips to a harbour with a pub, fine - serious racing and proper cruising I fear doesn’t work

flaming

Visit site
At lot of money on a boat to get bashed round the race course.

And doesn’t solve the issue that to cruise needs a lot of heavy stuff that would need to be shifted off before going racing and on before cruising.
Racing and occasional overnight trips to a harbour with a pub, fine - serious racing and proper cruising I fear doesn’t work

If you read the previous thread you'll see that I basically agree with you!
However it seems that at least 2 manufacturers are actually making models that could be classified as CRs in the mid 30 foot bracket now. Which wasn't the case at the time of the last thread.

TallBuoy

Visit site

The average cruiser would say the interior is stark (including open plan fore peak), and very little comfort in the cockpit.

First impression is that its a racing yacht which people could sleep on overnight, not a cruising yacht. If Key want to sell it as a cruiser, it needs to be dressed as one - white sails, scatter cushions, spray hood etc.

doug748

Visit site
Some sort of boarding step at the stern would be handy.
There was a racer which had a long demountable box at the stern which could be detached complete with cruising accoutrements? Also filled in the disconcerting gap, offshore.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I remember looking around the J boat at last year's Southampton boat show, details were starting to emerge when I was last changing boats. On balance I'm happy with my choice.

mrming

instagram.com
That was the point of the previous thread. Beneteau have dropped the first range, and most other manufacturers had done likewise.

Didn’t realise the Firsts were gone. Looking at the site they just list the 20 & 25 now. Wonder why? The 40 was pretty competitive and the 35 wasn’t bad either. Maybe didn’t sell as many as the .7s? I wonder if smaller numbers of cheaper to fit out Sun Fasts are seen as a better strategy?

lpdsn

Visit site
Didn’t realise the Firsts were gone. Looking at the site they just list the 20 & 25 now. Wonder why? The 40 was pretty competitive and the 35 wasn’t bad either. Maybe didn’t sell as many as the .7s? I wonder if smaller numbers of cheaper to fit out Sun Fasts are seen as a better strategy?

I never thought the latest round of Firsts were that competitive. Alway though of them as fast cruisers that had given up on the idea of serious racing. Still, as always, it depends upon how well individual boats are sailed.

mrming

instagram.com

flaming

Visit site
I never thought the latest round of Firsts were that competitive. Alway though of them as fast cruisers that had given up on the idea of serious racing. Still, as always, it depends upon how well individual boats are sailed.

They were very competitive. The 40 especially. Amongst other things that boat won the Sydney Hobart overall and has won pot after pot in the UK.

The 35 in the right hands can be a weapon.

mrming

instagram.com
They were very competitive. The 40 especially. Amongst other things that boat won the Sydney Hobart overall and has won pot after pot in the UK.

Yep I've raced in a few events where the 35 has dominated the class above us. It's no coincidence that these are Farr designs. You've only got to look at Farr's race results section - an archive of successful racers across multiple rules and classes going back to 1964:

http://www.farrdesign.com/results-2017.html

flaming

Visit site
Yes, it was kind of my point in the original thread that these boats didn't seem to be uncompetitive on the race course, but clearly aren't sufficiently profitable for Beneteau etc to make them any more.

So it was very interesting to me to see GS and J return to a market that others have abandoned. Although the GS does look more like it's targeting the Sunfast / JPK short handed end of the market more than the fully crewed race market.

Given who's marketing them I expect we'll see the GS on the race course next year in capable hands to be able to judge if it's any good! The 112E that is already racing has been winning a lot of pots this year already....

bedouin

Visit site
I have been a fan of the GS boats for years - they have seemed to be a good attempt at the cruiser-racer. They have tended to outperform bendytoys under IRC and are good cruising boats too.

It seems that they are moving the models more towards the "racing" end of the spectrum - that new 34 looks nice but not really ideal for cruising!

mrming

instagram.com
Yes, it was kind of my point in the original thread that these boats didn't seem to be uncompetitive on the race course, but clearly aren't sufficiently profitable for Beneteau etc to make them any more.

So it was very interesting to me to see GS and J return to a market that others have abandoned. Although the GS does look more like it's targeting the Sunfast / JPK short handed end of the market more than the fully crewed race market.

Given who's marketing them I expect we'll see the GS on the race course next year in capable hands to be able to judge if it's any good! The 112E that is already racing has been winning a lot of pots this year already....

Interesting lines at the back of the GS34. Looks like the transom has been designed to reduced wetted area going upwind but allow the boat to 'sit down' on it when surfing. Seems a sensible strategy for a heavy IRC boat that isn't going to be doing a lot of planing. It does seem a little more spartan inside than both the 112e and the Firsts – not as wipe clean as the SunFasts, but open plan to the fore cabin in a 34 footer is not really what I would want in a cruiser racer. The 112e looks like a really good compromise to me.

Was there an official announcement from Benny about dropping the larger Firsts do you know? I had a Google around but couldn't find anything. The designs are 10 years old so I'm wondering if some new ones might appear next year.

flaming

Visit site
Interesting lines at the back of the GS34. Looks like the transom has been designed to reduced wetted area going upwind but allow the boat to 'sit down' on it when surfing. Seems a sensible strategy for a heavy IRC boat that isn't going to be doing a lot of planing. It does seem a little more spartan inside than both the 112e and the Firsts – not as wipe clean as the SunFasts, but open plan to the fore cabin in a 34 footer is not really what I would want in a cruiser racer. The 112e looks like a really good compromise to me.

I agree that the open plan cabin is not what cruising customers in the 34 foot region would expect. Which does sort of make me think that once again what we really have is a boat that is only really intended for the race course, but is at least a ton heavier than it really needs to be in order to tick the "cruiser racer" box.

Was there an official announcement from Benny about dropping the larger Firsts do you know? I had a Google around but couldn't find anything. The designs are 10 years old so I'm wondering if some new ones might appear next year.

Nope, just got quietly dropped. And not recently either.

lpdsn

Visit site

I must just have encountered poorly sailed examples. Sometimes difficult to tell if it is the boat or crew.