The Refit of a Delta 88 Carbon Sport Yacht/Superyacht

jfm

Visit site
Even if I must say that in a boat so big and expensive they could have refrained from using the old trick of bulwarks reversed and integrated with the deck mould… :rolleyes:
Yup it is very annoying that ferretti (and Riva) use that cheap trick on 30m boats costing multiple millions €€. Fine on a 60 footer but not bigger boats imho. Bravo to princess for not using this cheap trick, including their latest Y85.
There are however lots of other nice features on freti920 :). Cheap deck moulding techniques are a first world problem.

jfm

Visit site
Wasn't it hull #1 where the guy insisted the boat be rebadged as a Delta 88 even though it was actually a Delta 80 (and subsequent instances stuck to the '80' label)?
yep hull 1 was “88” but I think (not sure) all the later ones were also badged 88. I think they have built 6 or 7 but I have lost track since losing interest in buying one.

I half agree porto’s comments in #13. Build quality wasn’t terrible but also not stunning. Strange spec choices including cheap small diameter ss tubing etc. You could fix all that in a custom build tho. I think the main deck is very med friendly because of the patio doors set forward so creating a huge aft deck. The flybridge is truly awful though - complete design mistake for warm water use and just plain ugly to be on. Such a shame. They’re built on an island off Estonia so you’d need your own wheels or a netjet account to do 2 weekly visits during the build. Urgh

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
There are however lots of other nice features on freti920 :). Cheap deck moulding techniques are a first world problem.
Agreed, that ain't a deal breaker, of course. And probably makes the bow lines handling a bit easier, btw.
Besides, a price "only" 20% higher than the Delta, which aside from other considerations is also a MUCH smaller boat, makes her look like a bargain...
A new build thread with an IT boat as protagonist would be nice, for a change. Go for her! :encouragement:

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Haha yes it would be fun to build one. The 920 is nicely under 24m LLL so is owner driver material. No idea how much ferretti would let the customer in - 92 feet and €6m isn’t trivial but it’s tiny for ferretti.

Problem is I don’t have time for such a project. Have new work mission for a few years with heavier travel than before. I’ll wait till early retirement. Meantime I still love the current boat :D

MapisM

Visit site
No idea how much ferretti would let the customer in
I see what you mean, and I have no idea either, but as I'm told they are nowadays more keen to listen to clients than they used to be in the haydays.
Maybe you could envisage a package where your semi-custom build becomes the subject of an epic build thread viewed by gazillions of prospects around the planet... :rolleyes:
Anyhow, all the best for your work mission, in the meantime.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Problem is I don’t have time for such a project. Have new work mission for a few years with heavier travel than before. I’ll wait till early retirement. Meantime I still love the current boat :D

Well that’s not going to help all of us get through a long boring winter.......some people :D

jfm

Visit site
The Delta at Berthon is Hull #1 with almost 60,000nm and 3,000 hours in 5 years. Remarkable amount of use.
Big numbers for a leisure boat. NYboater, how is your Delta going? You pleased with it? Any pictures? Has aftersales support been good? Would you buy one again?

NYboater

Visit site
Very pleased with the boat and their support. 850 hours and 15,000nm. Past summer went from SoF to Greece. Plan for next summer is Bodrum, Greek Isles and up the Adriatic. Buy again- definitely, but you are right on the hardtop! Posting pictures above my pay grade

jfm

Visit site
Glad to hear all that. The boat does indeed appear to run in an amazing way including 20kts ++ at 9 litres/mile.

My thoughts were to cut/shut remake the flybridge mould tool to take the dash forward (where the glass roof is) and take the act overhang much further aft to the transom, then fit a carbon hard top instead of bimini. And add a forward staircase from just forward of the galley up to the fly, and change the crew cabin ladder into a staircase. But if the boats are selling well as is, the shipyard is not interested, which is fair enough I guess!

I saw a d88 in Antibes for a few weeks last summer, on the Capitainerie Quai. I guess that was yours. Nice looking machine.

NYboater

Visit site
Glad to hear all that. The boat does indeed appear to run in an amazing way including 20kts ++ at 9 litres/mile.

My thoughts were to cut/shut remake the flybridge mould tool to take the dash forward (where the glass roof is) and take the act overhang much further aft to the transom, then fit a carbon hard top instead of bimini. And add a forward staircase from just forward of the galley up to the fly, and change the crew cabin ladder into a staircase. But if the boats are selling well as is, the shipyard is not interested, which is fair enough I guess!

I saw a d88 in Antibes for a few weeks last summer, on the Capitainerie Quai. I guess that was yours. Nice looking machine.

We typically cruise at 27kn using 10 liters/nm.

I defer to your experience on the flybridge. In 2 years we have never opened the glass roof or even their shades.

Wasn’t able to spend much time in SoF, boat transport was late and I had some conflicts. Hope to be back in 2020 or 2021.