The pie

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
mmm delicious

How was the indigestion? Not sure I will try the saucepan method on a FB pie. Was thinking about cutting into wedges and using the omnia oven or is there something about the tin that is key to the FB experience?

come on you know it makes sense

Dylan

Ps - also information about bungee based self steering and gear changes using string

so mucgh to learn - so little time

dylanwinter

USA of course

HI Dylan are you planning on taking the slug across to USA, or is it the Azores?

Graham
youtube carriefwb

I would be going - but at the moment I do not seem to have the right charts about my person.

Although a Mirror Offshore has done the Atlantic circuit I would need to spend one hell of a lot of money getting the Slug ready - and by the time I got anywhere everyone else would have buggered off

D

Esso6

Visit site
Having recently tried some of these FB pies to see what all the fuss is about, I can only assume that being alone at sea somehow changes the perception of what counts as decent food.:D
I'm trying food at home that will be tasty(ish), easy to keep and reasonably quick to prepare on a boat.
One of my favourites are the Uncle Ben's pre-cooked packet rice, loads of different flavours, on your plate in 5mins, very little washing up and currently on special offer at a supermeerkat near you!

Good luck to all Jesters in your fast approaching adventure!:)

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Ps - also information about bungee based self steering and gear changes using string

so mucgh to learn - so little time

When I watched the Fray Bentos pies exercise, I also noticed a bit on microphones and how to eliminate wind noises. I have been fortunate enough to watch a few of Roger Taylor's Arctic Adventures when he speaks at the RCYC at Burnham and I know wind noise has been a problem for Roger always. So I hope he picks up on the glove hint - although I don't think the killer whales or icebergs would be worried by a sock.

I'm seriously thinking about trying video. I spoke at the Solo Offshore Racing Festival on Saturday and was the only person who didn't show any video as my technology only goes as far as still pictures. I notice Dylan also has a review on a waterproof Sanyo Xacti camera so I am interested in viewing that when my computer has downloaded it. One of my concerns with a video camera is how much power it uses and how you charge it on board if you can only get limited camera time if it uses considerably more power than a still picture camera - I've got a little digital that has a battery that lasts forever and I can recharge using 12v usb charger that works off a cigarette lighter attachment.

idpnd

www.svlibertalia.com
Some mobile phones and cameras support usb charging now, so you can attach it to your onboard laptop or a 12 v usb charger. Annoyingly enough, the xacti doesn't charge via it's usb port (at least according to my research), so you will need the external 220 v charger..

Black Sheep

Visit site
I bought a waterproof xacti for my trip to Orkney last year. The battery seems to last a good long while (hours). The battery itself is a standard item - I bought a spare on ebay along with a 12v external charger unit (plugs into ciggie lighter).

A great camera - even used it underwater to check for fouling while in Kirkwall harbour, but mainly useful to have out in rain & spray without worry. Only problem is editing all the clips together to a coherent whole at the end of the trip! I wasn't as pleased with the stills, but I have a still camera for those.

Microphone is internal with no socket for an external one, so not very susceptible to the sock trick.

Take a spare sim card.

Last edited:

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I bought a waterproof xacti for my trip to Orkney last year. The battery seems to last a good long while (hours). The battery itself is a standard item - I bought a spare on ebay along with a 12v external charger unit (plugs into ciggie lighter).
A great camera - even used it underwater to check for fouling while in Kirkwall harbour, but mainly useful to have out in rain & spray without worry. Only problem is editing all the clips together to a coherent whole at the end of the trip! I wasn't as pleased with the stills, but I have a still camera for those.
Microphone is internal with no socket for an external one, so not very susceptible to the sock trick.
Take a spare sim card.

All the information I needed to know about the Xacti, thanks very much.

I've also seen a NEW VIVITAR DVR850W 8MP WATERPROOF CAMCORDER SILVER SD for about half the price of a Xacti. Anyone know anything about this in terms of battery life or 12v charging? And it's ability to resist water? I was impressed with the Xacti's excursion in Kirkwall Harbour.

dylanwinter

East anglian waters

In that case, just for you, I've uploaded the relevant video. Needless to say, the quality has been mangled by YouTube but at least it proves the point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud-iwnsrc2s

what exactly is that clear stuff all around the boat

On the Alde atr the moment - by the time your ankles are in the water your toes have dissappeared into the murk

It is amazing how the seals can hunt in it

D

PS - can recommend the camera - its been great - and the ammunition is cheap too

Black Sheep

Visit site
No idea what all that clear stuff was - most disconcerting. There were times when Black Sheep seemed to be floating several metres above a sandy beach, tethered by a clearly visible anchor. Very reassuring to come back to the comforting murk of the Thames.

If you make it round the outside, perhaps you'll be able to observe this uncanny phenomenon first hand!

Esso6

Visit site
Ok, just been to Amazon ......and now I'm spoilt for choice :rolleyes:

If I was woman it would be easy.....just choose the prettiest one.:D

idpnd

www.svlibertalia.com
I actually bought a CG10 just to give it a go - paid 110 eur (same as CA9 minus waterproofness), can't say no. If I like it may go for the waterproof one. Hopefully they'll come up with a waterproof 1080p by then.