The one got away?

mcanderson

Visit site
This morning I was told that the boat we had been keen on had sold. We had agreed a trade in, were down to negotiating the final exchange price and then boom, someone came in and we are back to square one.

I am so annoyed at myself for haggling so long, I should have just gone for it.

Back to surfing the web.

Whitelighter

Visit site
its annoying when that happens.

Id keep in touch with the broker though, these things can fall out of bed as quickly as they get done.
While lots of people on here believe that as its a buyer market the buyer drives the whole process if its a good boat at a sensible price that isnt always the case

mcanderson

Visit site
Have told him to tell me immediately if the deal falls through.

Even worse is that my wife is now miffed at me for haggling too much! Nightmare scenario!

superheat6k

Visit site
When a deal falls through it is a two way cancellation, which means your last price offer is null and void too, so if it does resurrect the price you were approaching is now your starting price, not your finishing price.

Did the broker give you any idea you were in a bidding war with others interested ? I would be wary this isn't simply a broker who thinks he is good at poker, after all hardly the boat selling season just before Christmas.

I would also be wary that this wasn't the broker getting cold feet over what he would be getting in exchange.

So if it does resurrect then you hold the cards, but if you can shift your current boat first your position will markedly improve.

mcanderson

Visit site
Perhaps true, but so is my trade in. I am thinking of shipping my current boat back to the UK as the exchange rate is a game of two halves.

jfm

Visit site
... if it does resurrect the price you were approaching is now your starting price, not your finishing price... if it does resurrect then you hold the cards...
Be careful though that this may just lead to a repeat. Buyer does not hold all the cards if it is a nice boat. Perhaps it depends on whether you define winning as getting the lowest price or the nicest boat, but there are plenty of buyers who choose the latter. These buyers couldn't care less if they get the boat for the lowest possible price, but they care very much that they get the best boat in its category. Once one of those comes along bidding against you, as perhaps happened here, you end up losing the boat you wanted.

I would also be wary that this wasn't the broker getting cold feet over what he would be getting in exchange.
. Could equally be cold feet about repeated haggler and a capricious decision not to sell

You can argue it both ways of course; I'm merely putting the opposite side of the coin.

Last edited:

superheat6k

Visit site
Be careful though that this may just lead to a repeat. Buyer does not hold all the cards if it is a nice boat. Perhaps it depends on whether you define winning as getting the lowest price or the nicest boat, but there are plenty of buyers who choose the latter. These buyers couldn't care less if they get the boat for the lowest possible price, but they care very much that they get the best boat in its category. Once one of those comes along bidding against you, as perhaps happened here, you end up losing the boat you wanted.

. Could equally be cold feet about repeated haggler and a capricious decision not to sell

You can argue it both ways of course; I'm merely putting the opposite side of the coin.
All fair comments John - just the musings of dealing with brokers taking the rise in regard to some of the boats they may be offering is still fairly fresh, but yes they must have to suffer a fair overdose of fender kickers, but then I assume anyone who doesn't buy from a particular broker is just that.

And of course the OP did confess to have been taking to long with his purchase decision.

mcanderson

Visit site
I did take too long. We saw the boat at the beginning of Nov. I then had a 10 day work trip to India where comms were patchy. By the time I returned we had a trade in price and were just waiting for one more bit of information. By the time we had that we were ready to push and then the email from the broker arrived on Friday.

Boat mourning all weekend, but now back in the hunt and waiting to see what shows up.

superheat6k

Visit site
I did take too long. We saw the boat at the beginning of Nov. I then had a 10 day work trip to India where comms were patchy. By the time I returned we had a trade in price and were just waiting for one more bit of information. By the time we had that we were ready to push and then the email from the broker arrived on Friday.

Boat mourning all weekend, but now back in the hunt and waiting to see what shows up.
What were you looking at / hoping to buy ?

mcanderson

Visit site
12-14m hard top sports cruiser. One big issue is it must be under 14m as Beaulieu s/Mer are very strict on length. One boat we were looking at was 14.2m and that was deemed as too long by the port staff.

andy59

Visit site
Bad luck Shane , was it the Cranchi ? .Could well be a good idea to bring your yacht back to uk . Good luck with the boat hunting .

mcanderson

Visit site
It's easy to modify the pulpit so it folds down to remove 0.2m. The st steel guy in biot would do that job for you
That might be a way around issues, but they ask for the registration documents, which show 14.2 on one model we are looking at. As I can't change the registration (to SSR) until I buy I end up in a circular argument and the risk of getting knocked back and then ending up on a 16m berth is above my threshold for now.

Unfortunately a very busy period at work is stopping me from paying enough attention to this. Damn work and all those who sail aboard her I say!

ian38_39

Visit site
I know you are not supposed to but there are no checks whatsoever on SSR, not even whether you own it. I have a sneaking suspicion that our new boat may have been on two registers at the same time even before the final cash had been paid.

mcanderson

Visit site
BSM check SSR against the CE certificate. You can't cheat. I don't want to either, as I like the office staff and having them inside makes life easy. I have asked about modifying the pullpit, but I think that I know the answer already.

alt

Visit site
Bad luck Shane , was it the Cranchi ? .Could well be a good idea to bring your yacht back to uk . Good luck with the boat hunting .

Cranchi Atlantique 40? I love the look of those boats, seriously considering one for my next, if I can find one locally (there are a few in Ireland).