The Old Forge, Knoydart

zoidberg

Visit site
On my first and last visit some years ago, we'd come across from Canna on a hot, windless day. Did I say, hot? And dry....?
I tried to anchor in front of the pub. And tried again. And again. The trusty 35lb CQR just wouldn't, didn't, couldn't 'set'. Couldn't believe this.
That anchor on that boat had never once in a decade failed to set and hold.

After, oh, perhaps 8 or 9 failed attempts I moved further away - and it set first time. At last it was time to row the dinghy ashore and go for that ever-so-wanted pint. And it was just the one, for they were closing early and heading off for a ceilidh elsewhere. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aja

Blue_mischief

Visit site
Went over to the Old Forge for a meal yesterday evening. Needed to book. The place was busy with a good atmosphere. Friendly staff. Somewhat limited menu, but quality food and a decent range of beers. Very nicely decorated and loos are 10/10. Moorings are available for a donation. Even the weather was great - we left at sunset for Armadale, people still sitting outside.
And we had a ton of dolphins in the gloaming on the way back.

sarabande

Visit site
I supported them (all the way from Exmoor !) when they did the crowdfunding bit, and with some technical comparisons of mooring from various community mooring groups in the UK. My daughter's name should be on one of the bar stools.

I wish them the very best and if ever I reach the pub, shall have great pleasure adding to their profits.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Vague memory that there is a note on the admirably chart that states Loch Nevis is shit to anchor in, or words to that affect.

NormanS

Visit site
Vague memory that there is a note on the admirably chart that states Loch Nevis is shit to anchor in, or words to that affect.
Personally, I don't understand that. I know that over the years, I have successfully anchored in at least 13 different locations in Loch Nevis. It's a large stretch of water with many possibilities to anchor, depending on the weather conditions.
Maybe someone sometime was unsuccessful, and reported it to the "admirably" 😀

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Personally, I don't understand that. I know that over the years, I have successfully anchored in at least 13 different locations in Loch Nevis. It's a large stretch of water with many possibilities to anchor, depending on the weather conditions.
Maybe someone sometime was unsuccessful, and reported it to the "admirably" 😀

What is not to understand? Look at the chart, if my recollection is wrong, fair enough. I think the note says something about very strong winds.

You are perfect NormanS in every way, you always say so.