The Mrs wants me to sell the boat

Freebee

Visit site
My wife gave me an Ultimatum to sell the boat in 2008 or she would leave.

Simple i moved onto the boat and divorced that wife, Ive never looked back.

Sometimes you have to prioritize!

LionsDen

www.bbiuk.com
Bigger House - You will then need to invest in having a full time house keeper - Then the kids will be leaving in the next couple off years, but they may not if the house is too comfortable for them as there partner may also move in, just like what happened @ my sisters house.

Downsize house and then buy a bigger boat like Spotty Dog - Simple :encouragement:

Last edited:

SpottyDog5

Visit site
I agree, Terry you took the words out of my mouth ;)
No matter how big/small your house, you seem to spread yourself out into it.
Having a boat is more about choosing a lifestyle, if its not about the cash, then you need to sort the real issue.
I sincerly hope you guys can sort it out

pan

Visit site
I think my Mrs knows disposing of the boat is a no go area! Although it cost me a property in the sun, which is her domain, best thing it's only 5 mins from the marina... so I get to play as much as I like, in peace:cool:

oGaryo

Visit site
I agree, Terry you took the words out of my mouth ;)
No matter how big/small your house, you seem to spread yourself out into it.
Having a boat is more about choosing a lifestyle, if its not about the cash, then you need to sort the real issue.
I sincerly hope you guys can sort it out

cheers Buddy. been thinking this through a little actually and in a way it is about the cash as we will need to get a small (affordable) mortgage to fund the extension.. it'll be the first time in over a decade that we've had one and indeed, any debt / loan. Deb has it in her head that we'll not need the mortgage if we sell the boat. she's correct in the basics of that statement but what I am saying is we can keep the boat, the lifestyle, have the extension and just recognise we'll be paying it off over the next few years rather than having money sitting in the bank doing bugger all and no boat. Things will work out, they always do and suspect that won't be achieved until the extension is complete and we're sitting on a beach somewhere hot in 2015. Definitely not giving up the boat in the meantime, it's my (and Debbie and her mates) get away from the norm and I've made too many friends darn sarf to walk away from it all, that includes you :)

LionsDen

www.bbiuk.com
Gary can't imagine you sitting on a beach looking at all those people having fun on there boats :confused:
I noticed this post started after xmas :rolleyes:
Did Debbie not like her xmas pressie from you btw ;)

Happy New Year to one & All & Best Wishes for 2015

Terry

Last edited:

PlanB

Visit site
Ogaryo
Sell the boat and build the extension.
At the same time purchase a nice 40' fly bridge on a decent finance package, EBY?
Sorted

That doesn´t make financial sense. It´ll be cheaper to get a mortage for the extension than finance on a boat.

Jonmendez

Www.jonmendez.co.uk
maybe it's an age thing but I am coming to terms with the fact that if someone has a problem with something I want to/can do, then it's their problem not mine, all I can do is help them through their problem if possible :) e.g. go on holidays abroad in this instance. I realise that comes across as selfish
Not selfish Gary realistic, yes there are compromises to be made but none of us see here long so I have made it quite clear and they have now realised that it will be my way with a small listen to others - works for me :)

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
Since you have no debt, it doesn't make any sense just getting a small mortgage, extensions always go over budget anyway, so get a bigger loan, make sure it stays within budget, & then get a bigger boat with the leftover cash, everyone's a winner. You know it makes sense. :D

EugeneR

Visit site
I agree with your wife, you should sell the boat. And then buy a bigger one! Actually this is a serious suggestion, maybe she is getting a bit fed up of what you have and something with a bit more space and comfort will be more appealing to her. Certainly seems to have worked for everyone I know that has moved up in size.

We did that but it didn't work for long. The simple fact is that, once the kids reach a certain stage, they have more and more weekend activities which means fewer weekends at the boat. One way to get more time on the boat, is to sign them up for sports / activities close to where the boat is, so you are forced to travel there regularly. Also, overseas holidays and limited time off means you cannot sensibly plan a holiday on the boat unless you can control the weather. To some extent, having a flybridge helps, so does entertainment to keep them happy when the weather is bad.

So, I guess you'll need to rely on man-logic a bit more. I mean, if you need money later you can sell the boat whereas you can't sell the house extension on it's own - would she rather lose the boat or the house?

freddy the frog

Visit site
selling your boat

We did that but it didn't work for long. The simple fact is that, once the kids reach a certain stage, they have more and more weekend activities which means fewer weekends at the boat. One way to get more time on the boat, is to sign them up for sports / activities close to where the boat is, so you are forced to travel there regularly. Also, overseas holidays and limited time off means you cannot sensibly plan a holiday on the boat unless you can control the weather. To some extent, having a flybridge helps, so does entertainment to keep them happy when the weather is bad.

So, I guess you'll need to rely on man-logic a bit more. I mean, if you need money later you can sell the boat whereas you can't sell the house extension on it's own - would she rather lose the boat or the house?

the other problem you will have is how log will it take to sell your boat ? how much do you think its worth? how quick do you need the cash? you could still be trying to sell this time next year.
Unfortunatly people are not exactly tripping over themselves to buy boats at the moment . You also mentioned taking a berth in town quay probably be the worse nights sleep you ever have on your boat. Nearly did it myself last year.

Wavey

Visit site
Sorry if I missed something but the reasoning behind the house extension is?

I count myself very lucky. SWMBO loves the boat as much as I do. That's why our boat is worth far more than the home we live in :)

oGaryo

Visit site
Sorry if I missed something but the reasoning behind the house extension is?

Hi Wavey, it's to make life nicer at home by...... building a new front doorway and porch, moving a window from the side to the front of the house above the porch, (much) larger hallway, downstairs cloakroom within the hallway. Then there's a downstairs shower, toilet and utility room to the side of the house. To the rear, our conservatory has seen better days so that is being replaced to convert to a brick built downstairs study for when I work at home with a window overlooking the raised flower beds, decking and pond. the other side of what was the conservatory is a seating area looking over the same but with tri-fold doors onto the decking so to create an open space from outside through the new sitting area into the breakfast bar area via an arch which in turn leads to the lounge through another arch i.e. bring the outside in when it's warm. Existing upstairs study gets converted back to a guest bedroom. We're only in an end plot 3 bed semi so the changes will make a significant difference to our home life.

To be clear, I am not saying we should not do the extension, I've said a couple of times now, it's about doing it and retaining the boat / lifestyle.. both are achievable which is why I have an issue with the suggestion that the boat has to go

Last edited: