the most beautiful place to boat in the UK, opinions?

FalconSteve

Visit site
Hi all, after visiting the river dart today I am convinced it is the most beautiful boating destination we have in Britain, it has history, romance, steam boats and trains, nature and dramatic landscapes all bundled up together.

Do you agree? If not please give your suggestions....

aquapower

Visit site
Hi all, after visiting the river dart today I am convinced it is the most beautiful boating destination we have in Britain, it has history, romance, steam boats and trains, nature and dramatic landscapes all bundled up together.

One of my favourite places too, shame its so far from home as I would be there more.

Andy Bav

Visit site
How far up did you get. We got to Totnes last year, felt quite surreal being so far up having only ever visited by land before, but we have always said that if the weather is great there's no place on earth we would rather be and pootling at 3 lph is the icing on the cake...

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk

Great to hear you're enjoying the trip! Can't disagree about Dartmouth, but the entire SW Coastline is fantastic and I'm only just starting to really appreciate myself having lived here all my life! Since getting a boat a few years back, I'm slowly rediscovering the area from the sea rather than by road. Would love to do Scotland's West Coast one day myself too - hopefully they'll still be 'Britain' when I can get around to it!

Salcombe and The Yealm before you head back then? (Then of course Plymouth, The Tamar, Fowey, Falmouth, Isles of Scilly... ) :cool:

MrB

Visit site
I think we are lucky with much of our coast, the Pembrokeshire coastline being another.......all stunning.

Seastoke

Visit site
entering the dart from the sea is amazing but i would say the menai straits is nicer than going up to totness and you also have the swellies ??

mad_boater

Visit site
The Gower on the south Welsh coast.We used to go from Sharpness every summer to Swansea for three months with trips out to Ilfracombe Saundersfoot Milford Haven,my eldest son water skied off the back of my boat there.
One big disadvantage was the 10mtr tides and of coure the speed of the water and the weather.I like the Solent though for the great number of places to visit.

TSB240

Visit site
entering the dart from the sea is amazing but i would say the menai straits is nicer than going up to totness and you also have the swellies ??
Shh don't want it crowded like the Dart,Yealm,Helford.
I think pootling around the south west coast is fantastic and can't possibly be bettered.

Greg2

Visit site
South west has my vote closely followed by the west coast of Scotland.

The east coast (Thames/Essex/Suffolk/Norfolk) is, unfortunately, awful. Muddy brown water, sand/mud banks everywhere, characterless ports and the beer is awful. Whatever you do don't come here :)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Hi all, after visiting the river dart today I am convinced it is the most beautiful boating destination we have in Britain
I agree with you and we've been boating in lots of different places in the UK and the Med. The entrance to the Dart and the way it opens out to the towns on both sides is magnificent especially after the slog across Lyme Bay

henryf

www.911virgin.com
What a difficult question to answer.

You think of somewhere but then a fond memory of somewhere else pops into your head.

Certainly couldn't argue with the Yealm, upper Dartmouth, Fowey, Salcombe would throw in the river Fal upper reaches, Newtown Creek in the Solent, anchoring in Poole harbour, and Chichester estuary.

For me it's early morning when there isn't a breath of wind.

The truth is we are very lucky as boat owners.

You only have to see the photos posted here on the forum over the course of a year.

Bazzer

Visit site
What a difficult question to answer.

You think of somewhere but then a fond memory of somewhere else pops into your head.

Certainly couldn't argue with the Yealm, upper Dartmouth, Fowey, Salcombe would throw in the river Fal upper reaches, Newtown Creek in the Solent, anchoring in Poole harbour, and Chichester estuary.

For me it's early morning when there isn't a breath of wind.

The truth is we are very lucky as boat owners.

You only have to see the photos posted here on the forum over the course of a year.

Would have the agree with you Henry, we stayed overnight in Newtown Creek last weekend after watching some of your videos, just amazing, words do not do it justice.