The Jaycar kit. What does it do.

pampas

Visit site
Since nobody has answered the question "What does it do?" Here goes for a basic input.

1. It produces a frequency ,passed through the hull forming a layer of vibration which has been determined to be unpleasant to marine crustation.,hence when they go to attach, dont like it and move off, this frequecny in most units are just inside the upper limit of human hearing, the ones Ive seen have a Sleep mode so that any persons who find the noise intolerable can put the unit to sleep for about 8 hours.

2 You still have to maintain your normal anti-fouling/ann but can change to a hard type for longer life eg repaint every second year.

I believe the Jaycar system has a higher frequency I may be wrong, Hope this answers your question What does it do?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Since nobody has answered the question "What does it do?" Here goes for a basic input.

1. It produces a frequency ,passed through the hull forming a layer of vibration which has been determined to be unpleasant to marine crustation.,hence when they go to attach, dont like it and move off, this frequecny in most units are just inside the upper limit of human hearing, the ones Ive seen have a Sleep mode so that any persons who find the noise intolerable can put the unit to sleep for about 8 hours.

2 You still have to maintain your normal anti-fouling/ann but can change to a hard type for longer life eg repaint every second year.

I believe the Jaycar system has a higher frequency I may be wrong, Hope this answers your question What does it do?

The J Car explanation says that it disrupts the algae cell structure so no algae to feed on, no other marine organisms. The ultrasonic transponders resonate at a variety of frequencies between 19.08 KHz to 41.66KHzin steps of about 141Hz. This is the basis for all systems that I have read about and it is the frequency coverage and cycle that is key to the systems effectiveness, or so they say. What will be critical is the siting and coverage of the transducers, it will be critical to ensure a good bond between hull and transponder.

William_H

Visit site
Anti fouling ultrasonic kit.

The kit was produced on the basis of a project described in an electronics magazine presumably on the basis of commercial equipment available. So we have to assume that the person (electronics journalist) who wrote the article for cash was primarily an electronics expert. He may have done some research on antifouling using ultrasonics.
I remember many years ago a Negative Ion Generator was described. It produce negative ions into the air with a very elegant electronic circuit. However questions like, did it produce enough to make any difference and are negative ions beneficial. Well all that was subjective and the fad has gone away. Pure snake oil it seems.

I have no doubt that the design of the electronics of the fouling deterrant is very good. However things like the design of the coupling of the ultrasonics to the hull and just how much ultrasonic power and of what frequency is needed are questions not easily answered. Certainly not by an electronics expert. We know how to couple ultrasonics for depth sounder but here huge attenuation of the signal is acceptable. However attenuation in coupling with antifouling ultrasonics would really kill it I imagine.

Only time and experience will really show if it is a good idea. For myself although I love electronics and have a Jaycar store nearby and currently I can see growth on my hull after 24 hrs from cleaning, I think I will wait until there is more experience. My guess is that if you ask the question in 10 years time you might raise a smile. Oh yes I remember..... But don't let me discourage you... olewill

wizard

Visit site
The kit was produced on the basis of a project described in an electronics magazine presumably on the basis of commercial equipment available. So we have to assume that the person (electronics journalist) who wrote the article for cash was primarily an electronics expert. He may have done some research on antifouling using ultrasonics.

I have no doubt that the design of the electronics of the fouling deterrant is very good. However things like the design of the coupling of the ultrasonics to the hull and just how much ultrasonic power and of what frequency is needed are questions not easily answered. Certainly not by an electronics expert. We know how to couple ultrasonics for depth sounder but here huge attenuation of the signal is acceptable. However attenuation in coupling with antifouling ultrasonics would really kill it I imagine.

It should be noted that the program for the PIC is available for download with the article so it is possible to reprogram the timing and scan rates if particular frequencies turn out to be the most effective. This what I intend to experiment with after the first year of use.

I fired mine up last week so this season I wil find out how effective it is.

The one point I remember from one of the main marketed versions was the fact that the speedo log inpellor was kept clear whilst the unit was in operation - this is a particular bugbear with me - the need to frquently pull the thing up to clean and the associated mess and water ingress. If the unit avoids this chore alone I will be more than happy.