The Indian freighter in Shat al Arab

ParaHandy

Visit site
does anyone know the actual name of the freighter that HMS Cornwall sent 15 to investigate? I ask this because the MOD coordinates put the freighter in a patch of water no more than 0.5m least depth and the tidal range is abt 3mtrs. If any size, the freighter must have been aground at low water and it seems unlikely that such a vessel would take that risk so i'm wondering what ship she is.

Visit site
Did anyone notice, on the UKHO wall-chart that the RM Captain pointed to while giving out apologies, the several hand-drawn corrections which represent lines of soundings right across the approach channel to the Shatt al Arab - each clearly running from Iraqi into Iranian waters.

Someone had been running lines of 'silting soundings'; the corrections were in Standard Roman numerals, not Arabic or Farsi, so one might presume that the RN had been using their boats, in time-honoured fashion, to update and correct the basis of soundings in a known area of silting.

For how long, and with whose prior knowledge and consent....?

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
Roman numerals, not Arabic or Farsi

[/ QUOTE ]
Do the RN still use Roman numerals for depths? eg. "LXVIII fathoms"?

Most people I know use Arabic numerals... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Wasn't tuned into the news while much of this was happening so might have missed it, but I never saw any ref to the merchantman's log, which would surely have recorded posn when boarded by RN personnel. As 'impartial' evidence of innocence it would have been useful, so maybe it would have provided impartial evidence of guilt?

PS - what would Nelson have done?

PPS - no, not Nelson Mandela.

ParaHandy

Visit site
its not that the reported position is wrong but what's a freighter doing anchored on a mud bank? her bulk and the oil platforms would obscure the approach of a vessel from the north. tethered goat and Cornwall fell for it?

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Do the RN still use Roman numerals for depths? eg. "LXVIII fathoms"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to put too pedantic a point on it, there are many ships - large and small, merchant and naval, harbour-service and deep-water - that have their draft indicated on bow or stern still in Classic Roman numerals.

But I guess you are right.... until one starts Googling for examples; then the nomenclatures start to confuse. I do hope you were not too inconvenienced.

Here is a simple visual aid to assist you.....

EgyptphoneKeypad.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif