The human hamster...

Boomshanka

Visit site
Is it wise to attempt to cross the Irish Sea in late September in this (and would this be power gives way to sail under Colregs:D)

_63093912_63093753.jpg

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
From Treaddur bay - I'll be surprised if he gets past South & North Stacks without Holyhead lifeboat being called out. There are strong tides & overfalls there & slack water only lasts around an hour.

Then add prevailing SW'lies with NW'ly tidal flows & he could be swept far north of where he is aiming. I wish him luck, but wonder what his experience of the Irish Sea in Autumn is.

It can handle 3' waves he says, in which case I hope he get a few very calm days.

Mr Todd is hoping to raise £20,000 for both the Royal National Lifeboat Institution and the Wiltshire Blind Association
Oh, that's OK then, he can pay for his own rescue . . .

Last edited:

Boomshanka

Visit site
It's ironic that one of his two sponsor beneficiaries is the RNLI:rolleyes: Given the weather that's just been through I'd be amazed if he pulls it off... good luck for having a go though... but...

Little Rascal

Visit site
From Treaddur bay - I'll be surprised if he gets past South & North Stacks without Holyhead lifeboat being called out. There are strong tides & overfalls there & slack water only lasts around an hour.

I'm guessing he hasn't seen Penrhyn Mawr at full bore then... :eek: (a couple of miles West of Trearddur Bay)

pen30.JPG

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I'm guessing he hasn't seen Penrhyn Mawr at full bore then... :eek: (a couple of miles West of Trearddur Bay)

pen30.JPG

Quite; it's all about timing on that coast & I suspect he can't travel fast enough to get clear. He's talking 48hours for a 66 mile crossing, that's under 2 knts. There's a strong possibillity that if he does get clear of the Stacks that he will then get swept onto the Skerries.

I'm puzzled by the RNLI involvement in such a stunt, or maybe he hasn't actually told them yet what he is planning to do. Or perhaps they are going to tow him 5 miles off shore to get clear of the races - if that was the case I'd expect them to want to start from Holyhead. No, on balance I think he has decided to raise funds for them, & is using their name for credibility but hasn't discussed the plan with them.

I think I'll put a link to the Holyhead RNLI FB site . . .

TSB240

Visit site
I am surprised he is going from Treaddur makes more sense to go from Porth Dinllaen its only a little over 50 miles to Ireland from there.

Also the RNLI have a nice new shiny big orange boat there now.

He wouldnt need so many mars bars and he would be there at least 5 hours earlier!

Steve there is also a possibility of another proposed RNLI supported event which will involve the rowers from our Club.

Anglesey to the IOM next year........

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I am surprised he is going from Treaddur makes more sense to go from Porth Dinllaen its only a little over 50 miles to Ireland from there.

Also the RNLI have a nice new shiny big orange boat there now.

He wouldnt need so many mars bars and he would be there at least 5 hours earlier!

Steve there is also a possibility of another proposed RNLI supported event which will involve the rowers from our Club.

Anglesey to the IOM next year........

Those Celtic Gigs are lovely seaworthy boats tho & can maintain 4-5knts, they already do a race from Ireland to Caernarfon. There are support boats so crews can have a wee or medical attention if necessary, but no boats have needed rescue yet. Lots of pics on Royal Welsh YC FB site.

shaunksb

Visit site
When I set off on Sunday the conditions were ideal and the forecast was really good," said Mr Todd.

Then the wind started to pick up and the waves - which were pretty nasty out there - started to give the raft a bit of a battering.

That sounds familiar...

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
What's wrong with a rowing boat?

They race across every year - too easy for an engineer.

I can't understand why he didn't pick the Channel. It's 1/3 of the distance & all the loonies cross it in daft craft.

OK, so it's probably not as newsworthy anymore, but he lives in Hampshire, so it's a lot nearer & the rudders might have lasted long enough to get there.

If hed done it, he would have had a "success" he would have raised some money for the RNLI & possibly got enough publicity for a bit of funding to make something better capable of an Irish sea crossing. But the windage of the concept is the big problem as the wheel has to be so high if he is inside it.

Surely it would be much better to have a geared system with him seated prone in a plastic bubble. Less windage, less exposure to the elements & less energy required to drive it. He could also carry (& use) food & drink & safety equipment. Not well thought thro at all.

Seajet

Visit site
I may well be wrong - it has happened - but I've always had the impression the French take a dim view of even dinghies turning up if they don't have yacht style safety equipment, and the shipping lanes and zones would be a no-no or might result in a chat with a patrol boat.

Having said that I have no personal experience of the Irish Sea but of course know its' reputation; I know the Irish insist on lifejackets etc, don't know about shipping lanes or officialdom but suspect they're a bit more laid back ?

sarabande

Visit site
sorry DJE, I have spent a large part of my life in the company of skilled and professional engineers, mainly civils, but also mechanical. My comment was not a serious blast at the profession. Apologies.

The frailty of the craft, and its lack of freeboard as evidenced by the top photo, was apparent from the outset, especially in relation to the wringing stresses of the wheel structure. A reasonable venture for a very flat crossing, but with any wave height at all, it was predestined to come to a sticky end. But while I may disapprove of the execution, I defend his right to undertake such project - though perhaps a contribution to cost of rescue should have been lodged prior to launch.

Last edited: