The Great River Race

Gavi

Visit site
Is anyone in it?

Had great fun last year in a support boat, but have other commitments this year /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ramage

Visit site
SWMBO is rowing in "Dorney", the Petersham & Ham Sea Scouts Leaders boat.

My son Alex is rowing "George Vancouver", as part of the "Erik the Red Sea Explorer Scouts team.

I will be waving......

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No Regrets

Visit site
I'm thinking of entering No Regrets.

She's only 60bhp, but we won last year, and all the Rowers loved it, they all waved too.

Lovely guys.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and all the Rowers loved it, they all waved too.

Lovely guys.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
They weren't waving, they were shaking their fists

No Regrets

Visit site
Now you mention it, they were 'waving' even before we started the engine.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Forbsie

Visit site
We have Makarere (Sp?) entering and Sanfiona in support. Have a look for the latter, a c.100yr old double diag tug that has been extensively restored over the past couple of years.

Gavi

Visit site
My Neighbours are entering in a launch from Lilian and there are some peeps in the old Cutty Sark boats. I might be allowed to follow in a Merry Fisher if I get a Merry SWMBO.

Good luck and have a good journey - it looks like the sun might shine!

Ramage

Visit site
198 Erik the Red Sea Scouts George Vancouver
Thames Rosalind Skiff 15:00

And

199 P & H Supporters Dorney
Thames Rosalind Skiff 15:00

Alex my son (14 year old) is rowing in 198.All the rowers are under 15 in his boat.

SWMBO is rowing in 199. (P&H are Petersham & Ham Sea Scouts...she is one of the leaders). I am not allowed to comment on SWMBO's age.....

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Captain Coochie

Visit site
I might drop the runabout in at Twickenham if i can get enough work done this morning . Not to follow the race but to drink Forbsies boat dry while hes gone /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith 66

Visit site
What a Great day! they weather was nigh on perfect. We were rowing in the Lower Thames RC mens Gig Proud Mary, put in our best time so far as did our ladies crew in Dauntless.
It was a good race though the marshaling area was too small leading many boats to be over the line.
We were nearly swamped by the wash from two river boats coming together one mile below Tower bridge, bit hairy and we had a ton of water to bail out! one welsh longboat sank just after us. Thanks to our sponsor Paul Redman of Dauntless boatyard the organisers & safety boat crews.

Ramage

Visit site
Both my son & SWMBOs boats finished safely, although much baling was needed in the area of Tower Bridge.

Both boats did much better this year, passing lots of other boats and we are pretty sure their times were better. Mind you, the fast stream coming off the non-tidal Thames added to a biggish outgoing tide did help!

Forbsie

Visit site
Excellent day out with splendid weather and a veritable feast on Sanfiona.

We ended up with 14 boats tied on the back and after the PLA nicked our mooring buoy, tied up to the steam tug Portwey and had a private viewing at 10pm. After a barbeque, we tied upour flotilla to them and had a quick run downriver through the barrier and back.

We came back up on the tide, arriving back in Twickenham about 4am.

alistairedw

Visit site
A great day on the water. I provided safety boat cover for the start area. Highly amusing watching nearly 300 rowing boats trying to get onto the water in a short space of time.

A really spectacular event. I am seriously tempted to take part next year, although it will be a much harder race because they are probably going to start at Greenwich and row upstream to Twickenham.