The Great Loop - anyone tried it?

Huggers

Visit site
Hallo all.
Has any of you experience of the USA's Great Loop around the Intra Coastal Waterway and inland rivers?
I'm particularly interested in how the American visa requirements were managed considering the Loop takes lot longer than 3 months.
Anything would be appreciated.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
I think you fill find that immigration will give you 180 days if you explain what you are planning to do. I spent 2.5 years exploring USA Mexico and Canada in an RV.

180 days was my experience.

You could always enter Canada having checked out of the US and reset the clock, getting a fresh 180 day stamp. If you do this stay in Canada for a few days [ at least ]. NB you will need a B1 B2 visa to do this.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...enter Canada having checked out of the US and reset the clock, getting a fresh 180 day stamp. If you do this stay in Canada for a few days [ at least ]. NB you will need a B1 B2 visa to do this...

Try to achieve this Canadian visit close to the end of your original visa period, having it expire whilst you're out is even better and make the stay a couple of weeks at least; what you need to show/prove is that you made a 'meaningful exit' (I hadn't realised the Muricans used word that long.)
Even more importantly, you'll need a maximum draft of about 5', whilst in theory our 6' draft can pass through, we've spoken to several boaters who've done it and it seems that there's several inches difference between what's claimed and what's on offer; where have we heard that before?

Jeannius

Visit site
Thanks guys, useful stuff. Any more replies?
Haven't done the loop but have done the ICW top to bottom. As others have said B1/B2 visa. Don't know what your draft is but we went aground a couple of times with just 3 1/2 ft. No big deal though as soft mud. The channel does shift around a bit so it will happen to you.

Big problem we had was a close to 65ft mast height. We had to make sure we went under bridges at low tide - which then exacerbated the lack of water problem a bit. It was slightly easier once we'd removed the vhf antenna, and wind instruments on a bridge in the Dismal Swamp Canal!

Glad we did it but wouldn't rush to go back unless in a boat without a mast.

TQA

Active captain is a good resource on this trip.

If doing it in a sailboat make sure your draft is less than 6 ft and less than 5 ft is better.

Regardless of draft I would have towing insurance. My US friends say towboatus is good.

I have not done the loop but have done the ICW from Key West to Washington DC. [ Check your mast heights. ]

Bicycles are great for sightseeing but assume that US car drivers are partially blind as far as cyclists are concenred esp in Florida. You can be registered as blind in many US states and still legally hold a driving licence. Ours bikes were sh mountain bikes and cost 50$ used.

bjl

Visit site
On clearing in to the States in June 2015 it was suggested to me by Customs and Border Protection that I should have a 12 month visa. I agreed. So if you are worried that you can't do what you need to do in 180 days, ask for a year..

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
What we did was get B1/B2 visas they last 10 years and you can visit a any American territory for however long you want stay. Don't try to enter America in a boat without a Visa, we saw it happen in Puerto Rico and the skipper got hammered in a good cop bad cop routine got a heavy fine and then a 30 day short term visa. The previous owner of our boat did the ICW and loved it.

bjl

Visit site
What KellysEye writes is not entirely correct in the case of a sailboat and its crew. Clearly a B1/B2 visa is required before arriving in the States as mentioned above. This will be valid for 10 years from date of issue. However, on clearing in to the States with a boat 2 events will be triggered. Firstly, the stamping of the passport by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP). This will record how long one is permitted stay in the States and is the opportunity to ask for longer than 6 months. Secondly, the issue of a Cruising License to cruise in the waters of the US, which is valid for one year. The Cruising License costs $27.50

If a 6 month stamp is obtained then, for $290, one can apply for an extension later if necessary.

Earlier this year a foreign sailor who cleared in from the Bahamas overstayed his stamp. He was invited to report to CBP with his passport, which he did. Then he was taken straight to the airport and deported to Nassau. So it's probably not worth overstaying!

In addition to the stamp in the passport and a Cruising License, an obligation is placed on foreigners on foreign registered vessels to report coastwise movement. So every movement of the boat must be reported to CBP by telephone. It's not an onerous task and, in my experience, CBP staff are a pretty businesslike yet friendly. The risk of not reporting coastwise movement is a $5000 civil penalty for a first violation and $10000 for each further violation.

TQA

The cruising permit used to be optional, now you have to buy it. It lasts one year. To renew it the boat must leave US waters for 15 days. The precise interpretation of how this is applied seams to vary from state to state. IE can you leave after 6 months stay out for 15 days and get a new permit on your return.

Make sure you understand the rules on reporting movement.

KEEP A RECORD OF ALL REPORTS EG DATE TIME THE OFFICE YOU REPORTED TO THE PHONE NUMBER AND IF POSSIBLE THE NAME OF THE PERSON TAKING THE REPORT.

NB At the weekends there are stories of the phones being permanently engaged.

The officer who answers the phone will be polite and helpful BUT MAY NOT KNOW THE RULES so make sure they understand what you are doing and record the information.

Cruisers have had significant hassle from authorities over the differing interpretation of the rules around this. EG if you move berths in a marina do you report this. If you go for a day sail from the marina then decide to anchor out overnight before returning is this reportable.

NB Buy a phone with a US number. Most US based authorities can not call overseas numbers. Cheap as chips in Walmart.

Last edited: