The Forum has failed me. For the first time

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
I guess it comes to us all. That time when you feel no-one cares any more. When your contributions to life are ignored, marked insignificant and worse still ... boring.

I'm not really that depressed or hurt, not even sulking, just interested to work out why my post ( now slipped into page 2 as a write) about Garmin GPS software updates has drawn no response at all and only a modest 37 views.

I fully expected the techie forumites to descend upon the problem and post a string of possibilities and options. Alas zippo, nada, nowt.

Now if I had posted about resurrecting a Seagull outboard or asking what is the best anchor for the Sea of Galilee I might have been on a winner. So, it's off to Garmin tech help. If they ignore me as well, I may burst into tears.

tidclacy

Visit site
The forum is "PRACTICAL Boat Owners" none of your black magic electronics here thankyou.

I think that the forum is so popular that any post gets pushed down the list very quickly.

D

Deleted member 36384

A trick is to find part of the answer yourself then post a reply to yourself. This puts the post back to the front page and demonstrates that you are still trying to obtain the information i.e. a second bite at the apple and perhaps folks take it more seriously second time round.

I recently had a charging query which fell off the edge of the world. It had pictures and what I though was a clear description of my problem. Anyway, much later I found part of the answer, posted it and asked for any other advice again.

I ended up with a very good response and some clear guidance. Of course it could have just been right time, right place.

reginaldon

Visit site
It's even worse when you post on a thread and it dies forthwith - the kiss of death.

Or the last word on the subject?

Last edited:

Pandoramark1

Visit site
I find that all my posts are answered, however (not so far on this site) I have had weeks without a reply, mainly because no one could answer the question. And given the vast majority of people do not reply saying “sorry no idea”. I either do some more of my own investigation then amend my post to either A) better word it or B) add additional information... failing that I sit in my boat and cry :)

Babylon

Visit site
It also depends on how you start your post

... just interested to work out why my post ( now slipped into page 2 as a write) about Garmin GPS software updates has drawn no response at all and only a modest 37 views.

The most important thing to write to engage forumites' attention are the first few words of your post - these are the words that then appear in that little pop-up box when people wave their mouse pointer over the thread in the main list.

If these opening words are boring or obscure, then there's less chance of people even bothering to open the thread.

But of course it also has to have an engaging thread title.

And, as others have noted, it also has to be of actual interest. Some stuff just isn't terribly interesting - even though it IS of interest to the OP who posted the question in the first place.

This thread is interesting to me. I (obviously) opened and read it. I'm now writing a reply.