The fairer sex and sailing

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I've seen lots of postings on here regarding men trying to get their other halves interested in sailing and boats so much so that I'm beginning to feel a bit of a freak in so much that my wife actually introduced me to sailing when we first met. Is there anybody else in the same situation. Lest anybody think it's all sweetness and light we both have very firm views about what type of boats we both like and what style of sailing we like to do. I'd be interested in to hear from anyone who's in the same situation.

cynthia

Visit site
Yes, he wanted a motor boat, I wanted to sail (courtesy of Arthur Ransome). Neither have ever regretted the decision to sail, both completely and fully hooked. Wouldn't change a thing!

jeanette

Visit site
I'm still in the early stages. I have the boat, he thinks its a good idea and he enjoys it when he doesn't get sick. But, he's a long way from being hooked. What I'm trying to do now is get him involved as a participant instead of a passenger.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Sea sickness is never an easy one to get over. I've found that giving the victim of it the helm for a spell can do the job. I also know of someone in the same situation as yourself - she does all the helming and control of the boat while he sits and starts to feel sick. He's a bit of a DIY person so she asks him to sort out things as they sail which distracts him and helps his seasickness.

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Women on boats .... bad luck.

No good ever came of having women on boats. History is full of the perils that have befallen unwitting sailors when women are present. Give them the helm and next they will want to vote and wear trousers as well. Where else can the male go and do his hunting/fishing/providing thing as dictated by his genetic and evolutionary make up. This is just another invasion of the male domain under the guise of being PC. It is time that males stood their ground and demanded their god given rights. Confine the women to the galley, or on shore. Uugh! Uugh!

G

Division of Labour

I know a couple who own a Corribee. She sails and he doesn't, but she lets him clean off the antifouling....

G

I introduced my Russian fiancee to boats in Latvia, then in the Solent.
I've ended up with a boat in each place I work / frequent, as she is as hooked as me !
She's crewed in the Baltsail regatta,
She's crewed on the PBO Meeting #2 in July
She crews at every opportunity she can get me out of office and on the boat !

Now I am under pressure to get a 'decent' boat as she puts it ! So we are arguing with the owner of a 12 mtr job at present !

Yep, I can honestly say its more interesting when she likes it as well !!!! Certainly beats sleeping bag loneliness as well !

G

You\'re absolutely right,

as my lesser half would say, "liberated women, there you go, a million years of selective breeding, right down the tube!"

Fair winds, and eat your own cooking on your next two-week passage!

G

Re: Women on boats ....very useful bad luck.

Never been a superstitous person myself and have appreciated my better half being on board.

Example 1. In a tight berth with a srong wind blowing off the pontoon. an anxious looking women with a bit of string usually gets men rushing to help - try that on you own?

Example 2. Chartering in Thailand the engine conks out in a bit of a gale and discover the VHF isn't working. However, the mate has one of those purse size mobile phones an we are able to call the charter company.

She loves sailing when the weather is warm and breezes are gentle, but is not too keen on all the bits of string and nautical mumbo jumbo so I don't bother too much about it - that's my department. Sailing alone can be fine, but it's nice to share the day's experinces with someone.