The Drunken sailor

G

One of the joys of living aboard is the diversity of one's guests. Dining tonight were a barge skipper and a high court Judge (retired) who are both older than I am, which is not very common.

During dinner we contemplated the new laws relating to being drunk in charge of a yacht and our judge reminded us that one can be standing near one's car, outside it, but having the keys in one's possession, and still be liable to prosecution for being too drunk to drive.

OK. So there we are in a harbour, made fast all fours with b*****y great hawsers. We are entertaining our guests in our own home. Delightfully we demolish a few gins, a couple of bottles of claret and some cointreau and calvados before our guests totter down the pontton back to their own bateaux, which are laid up for the winter under huge canvas covers.

Enter P.C. Plod: Excuse me sir, is that your boat and do you happen to have the keys?

Yes officer.

All right then you cummerlongerme.

What about the captain of one of Her majesty's ships of war?

We were in Genoa aboard HMS Cumberland. The quarterdeck was decorated. The Royal Marine Band werre playing a selection from White Horse INn (which is probably the only piece of light music they knew). Guests included the President of Italy and a dozen assorted ambassadors. The Coates Plymouth gin and the pimms were flowing like water.

I was called away by the Chief telegraphist. "Emergency! Raise steam and proceed with the utmost despatch ....etc"

We got all the guests ashore, furled the awnings and left. Were we fit to drive?

This business of being in charge (or in command) of a ship is quite different to that of being in charge of a car.. You do not have to move a car in an emergency.

What happensd if the boat in the next berth cartches fire and you have had a few? Do you stay and burn?

I think we have need of some clarification. Will the editors of yottimags and perhaps the RYA if ever they read what is posted here, please press for some official views on such matters. They are relevant.

G

Bill, You may be interested in an exclusive, sneek preview of the summer issue of RYA MAgazine. In the editorial, Edmund Whelan, Deputy Director General, details the issues on which the RYA is currently taking action. These include extending equipment and boat building legislation, threatened restrictions on the right of navigation by enviromnental agencies, the threat of a 'yacht tax' and, of course, drink-sailing. In addition, he says, the RYA is campaigning against the licencing and registration which will be necessary in order for most of the above to be workable. He concludes: 'We give you our assurance that protecting your freedom and your pockets from unnecessary regulation and expense will always remain our priority'. For the full text of the editorial, and also articles on other aspects of the RYA's work, including, for example the establishment of wind farms, sailing facilities for the disabled, the future strategic developement and funding of all forms of sailing (power and inland waters included) I recommend you get hold of a copy of the issue (available in all good yacht club bars and free to members - sorry if that excludes you Bill). I must, of course, declare my interest here. In addition to my work for Yachting Monthly, I am sure most contributors to this board already know that I am Consultant Editor to RYA Magazine.

G

I hope we get two copies, because we are both members. But as we only got the last edition a couple of weeks ago, it will not arrive for some time. We ordinary members do not get much attention.

But I shall be interested.

G

My God Bill you've put the wind up me now. I cant tell you the amount of times I have done just exactly what you said above. Arrived in some port, tied up put the dinner on and had a well earned drink (or 3)I hope someone takes this thread seriously enough to give a good sensible answer.

G

I think James Jermain has a good answer and I think he will keep and Whelan up to the mark. If that is necessary, that is, because Mr Whelan is a great asset to the RYA.

G

I´ll tell you how it works

In Scandinavia we have had these rules for decades. I have never ever heard of anybody being prosecuted for being drunk while moored in a harbour unless obviously intending to move. Additionally, it is very unusual for sailors to be breathalysed, the police know very well that motorboaters pose the biggest threat.

I gather the police in the UK have a certain amount of real work to do, my guess is that they cannot even find the time to chase rapists, burglars and car thieves !

So do not panic, I guarantee very few people will be put in jail for drinking while moored !

G

Apologies Bill, I put you down as a lapsed member. You should have got your copies at the end of Feb.nm

G

The law - or rather those who interpret it are both asses ...

& assoles! Unfortunately laws are there to provide a living for lawyers. Here, in NZ, if I am at home and even a little intoxicated, my car, which may be locked and in my locked garage, is deemed to be "under my control" - i.e. I am D.I.C of it! Should it burst into flame or somebody steal it, my insurance is null and void because of my inebriated state. And that's where sophistry and specious arguments as dreamed up by the legal "profession" has taken us to.

G

Re: I´ll tell you how it works

So do not panic, I guarantee very few people will be put in jail for drinking while moored !

Dont you believe it!!!! Its always easier to hit a target that isn't moving or hiding