The down-side

JerryHawkins

Visit site
I'd like to live aboard and in discussion with a couple of people who do, I've picked up some tips. Not sure if they're correct, but would need looking into carefully.

You should deffinately maintain a permanent UK address - if you don't you're an 'itinerant' and can't claim all sorts of benefits from the state, eg pension. Banks won't like you and you'll find it difficult to get credit. Inheritance tax laws change - to include between a husband and a wife!

I'd be interested to know if these are correct and what other hidden pit-falls there may be.

Cheers,

Jerry

G

Its not that difficult to keep a uk address you can use a relatives address but dont say c/o or if you want to be totally independent you can be of no fixed abode a bank will only start investigations if you go into red

Beth

chrisc

Visit site
Yes you need an address not necessarily UK , i have not lived in Uk
for any length of time in last 20 years ,Uk bank is always happy with foreign
address as long as they can keep my money -you need address so they can send
Visa bills etc.,but anywhere in europe seems ok .

AndrewB

Visit site
Yes. Keep an address.

Two reasons. It confirms UK residency, which entitles you to NHS care and many welfare benefits. (Pension rights are OK though). Second, credit is decidedly tricky without a 'registered' address. This can hit in odd ways e.g. you find you can't get certain mobile phone deals because they involve credit arrangements which require a registered address. The biggest joke was when my building society refused to lend me money to buy a house, on the grounds I didn't have an address (banks had no such inhibitions)! Be warned, these credit restriction rules are being applied with a lot more force since Sept 11th.

On the other hand there are tax advantages in not being UK resident. For example you can (in theory) temporarily import a yacht VAT unpaid. But you have to prove this conclusively to IR, and it's really only worth it if you are have a significant UK income.

Although your registered address is supposed to be where you live, in practice you can get away with it just being somewhere capable of receiving mail. I used a post office box as my registered address for a couple of years, though strictly speaking this isn't permitted. Others use accomodation addresses (backstreet London newsagents).

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Yes. Keep an address.

You don't just need a UK address for phone deals, you need to on the electoral role. I have now no UK address, as my brother has now headed off sailing aswell! So I have a contact address where the bank can send statements, all this will be uneccessary soon with internet banking. I have no intentions of returning permanently to UK so it doesnt matter for NHS etc, I ahve private medical aswell. I ahve been living out of the UK for 27 years. Onboard for 10 years, I am aware of a lot of the problems with sailing off, but the rewards, oh! Yes the rewards..........

AndrewB

Visit site

Why some credit companies (those associated with mobile phones for example) check electoral registers is because that absolutely confirms your registered address.

Your approach to health insurance is for the well-off only. I've relied on an 'extended holiday' type insurance at about £500 per annum which operates on a 'patch you up and get you home' basis. Full health insurance, particularly to cover the US, would cost me many times that. But I've never been away from the UK for more than a year.

Mind you, there are so many ex-medics on the cruising circuit that provided you carry a good range of supplies its possible to get quid pro quo medical help most places.

ccscott49

Visit site

Andrew, my extended multi trip cover costs nothing like that! You should try pantaenius and ask for a quote. Even BUPA international doesnt cost that much! for a 53 year old.

markyb

Visit site

Very interesting stuff. We're looking to take a 'year-out' & buy a motor cruiser within the next year or so. (go round the Med or maybe West Australia). Ive been researching for 6 months or so now, Pro's-Cons... Do's-Don'ts etc and Im looking for any help, information, experience and knowledge as possible.

Thought of buying a used 40-50 footer (Fairline/Princess?) and trying to make it an economic trip/holiday as possible. Seems a lottery? Inc vat, Ex vat, (avoiding VAT!?!? )mooring/berth charges? fuel prices? running costs.

Taking your comments Andrew, seems it might be best to keep a Uk address, maybe a relatives ?

ccscott49

Visit site

If you have relatives in the UK, then fine keep a UK address, then its easy. I dont have relatives in the UK, so its that much more difficult, so I have tried to find other alternatives.

markyb

Visit site

Any suggestions on what Personal Insurance packages are available, or would be suitable (If me and my wife were to take a year out)?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
But unforunatly the government isn't going to fund this sceme. And massive problems if wishing to sail around on govenment sums.
So you have to collect a bit together your self first. Horour stories. It's not fair. Tough. You got to get some thing together first,. To Buy a Boat. Then some more to live off. It aint rocket science. Just do it. But you cant do it and live off some one else. Or they would all be doing it wouldn't they.
I'm quite sure that my bank will love me as to where ever I live as long as I've got some money in it. When I've not. Tough shit. Do you want them to Love me then!!!

Haydn

Paulka

Visit site

I never was entitled to NHS or any social security type of insurance, and have my own private insurance at IHI (http://www.ihi.dk/ihiwww.nsf/all/frontpage).

They offer many possibilities, among which complements to NHS, etc.
Have a look at their site.
I had very good experiences with them, at an affordable price, given my rather special status.
The price I pay is for worldwide coverage, health and accident.
No surprise supplement for ... say USA, or "dangerous" activities, sports, etc.
Whatever happens, if I end up at an Hospital, they will pay .... their contractual part, which you can adapt tou your needs.

Anyway, the best is to stay healthy!
... Even if you paid the insurance.

;-)

Paul