The Corribbee - Britain's most loved small yacht?

Mctavish

Visit site
I'm going to look at a Corribee with a suspected mast beam issue, I believe. The owner says that the support they put in the cabin beneath the mast works fine for them, apart from the slight obstacle. Is this possible or does the mast beam inevitably need replaced (if I have identified the right issue without seeing it)?

nathanlee

Visit site
I'm going to look at a Corribee with a suspected mast beam issue, I believe. The owner says that the support they put in the cabin beneath the mast works fine for them, apart from the slight obstacle. Is this possible or does the mast beam inevitably need replaced (if I have identified the right issue without seeing it)?

The MK1 had a compression post and no laminate beam. As long as the two ends of it are on a suitably load bearing surface, you shouldn't have any problem.

Corto

www.simonepierotti.com
I changed the beam to mine ( late MkII), not a complicate work a bit dusty but doable. For any doubts is better to replace it as well as the chainplates. All the infos here:http://corribee.org/technical/mast-beam/

Visit site
i looked at a corribee m1 and walked away ,nice looking boat but too narrow and small i did buy a mark 3 silhouette a compromise but a great little go anywhere boat. i did a delivery of a hunter formula one from the hamble to torquay and back the most enjoyable sail ever

Visit site
Where as I looked at a MK1 Corribee, bought it, then spent the next four and a bit years as a full time liveaboard on it. haha. The advantages of being a pint sized bloke!
the boat i was living on was a 15 ft midshipman (robert tucker design)so i knew what cramp't ment the corribee still seems too narrow even today

Billjratt

Visit site
Our first keelboat (corribee, not any of the thread-drifters mentioned above) was originally bought as a hull/deck intended for owner completion. I don't know the percentage of boats sold this way, but it will obviously make a difference to what you get once the second-hand cycle kicks in.
We had a bit of completion to do as the previous owner was a minimalist with deep pockets and short arms. Fitting user facilities like a table or wine cabinet requires a bit of imagination but they are frivolous really. We liked the sailability of the basic boat -it could ghost through a fleet of bacalmed boats and climb waves the height of the mast before surfing down the other side. The only problems we were aware of were the mast compression post (lack of!) and rudder skeg -a later addition which we never felt the need for.
The mast compression bit is exacerbated by fat folk clumping about on the coachroof - the original beam is OK but it relies on very inadequate plywood fillets at the side decks, so a proper post is a good idea -even though it means a straddle action if there's a portapotti in the normal place.
Having had other boats since, I am surprised by the apparent small size of the corribee when I pass one on a pontoon, but I suspect I could get used to it again if I had to revert to single-handed, plus there's the bonus of less EVERYTHINGcost -antifoul, polish, parking, chandlery, sails, etc. And, to revert to the OP , it's just a pretty wee boat - If they look right they generally sail right.