The Corribbee - Britain's most loved small yacht?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
the outboard is in a well (good thing)

but behind the rudder (bad thing)

A chap in the boatyard I use spent a great deal of time and effort on a beautiful restoration job on a Hurley 22. He then cut a great big 'ole in the transom, screwed a pad beneath it and mounted the outboard on that. I had my doubts about the wisdom of a 2' high by 18" wide hole six inches above the waterline, and while I don't know how she behaved, I notice that after one season she has been languishing and deteriorating in the yard again, with a bit of scrap GRP fitted in the hole. Almost as if someone had started trying to fill it in again.

She was one of the ones with an inboard, by the way.

ronsurf

Visit site
Outboards in wells are one of those things that seem like a good idea, but never seem to work in real life. I know of one person that complains that the newer 4 stroke engines are a tight fit and manoeuvrability is limited. Also the prop and part of the leg are always in the water which can't be a good thing.

The moulds for Hurley 22s are still around somewhere. A new Hurley is not out of the question. A bit of a shame that economics don't support the manufacture of small cheap yachts anymore.

BruceDanforth

Visit site
Marina manoeuvers get a bit easier once you get the hang of vectoring the outboard and learn to cope with an initial paddlewheel effect when going ahead.

I don't get uncontrollably whooshed anything like as much as I did in my first season.

the outboard is in a well (good thing)

but behind the rudder (bad thing)

all but impossible to control in a marina or for picking up a mooring

I spent three days on one and believe me I tried to master it

BruceDanforth

Visit site
A Tohatsu 6 fits in the well fine.

The prop doesn't have to be in the water all the time because the well was designed to be large enough to lift the engine right out and lie it down in the well.

Outboards in wells are one of those things that seem like a good idea, but never seem to work in real life. I know of one person that complains that the newer 4 stroke engines are a tight fit and manoeuvrability is limited. Also the prop and part of the leg are always in the water which can't be a good thing.

The moulds for Hurley 22s are still around somewhere. A new Hurley is not out of the question. A bit of a shame that economics don't support the manufacture of small cheap yachts anymore.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
A Tohatsu 6 fits in the well fine.

The prop doesn't have to be in the water all the time because the well was designed to be large enough to lift the engine right out and lie it down in the well.

That seems an awful lot of effort compared to lifting a transom hung OB bracket.

I've been on 2 boats with OB's an a well, and I have to say both were extremely noisy, far more so that a transom hung OB.

stu9000

Visit site

Ah the Caprice. I lived on board one,,, for a summer. My father bought the shell from someone who bought a kit and never got further than bolting on a rubbing strake. Fantastic boat. Because of her I know (or used to know) the Deben and the Exe intimately. As a kid I would fall asleep in the cockpit with the boat high and dry on the drive, dreaming of what might be. As I got older I got stuck on every mudbank on the east coast and a few on the south coast too. Waiting for my A level results I sailed her to Alderney. Beating upwind she pointed better than most, but perhaps a lack of roller reefing helped. You dont see many of them around these days. I guess most of the wooden ones have gone but the grp ones must be sitting around somewhere. My current boat, a Jaguar 27, is twin fin because of my formative experiences with my (Dads) Caprice. However, at 19 foot I do wonder how he ever got a family of 5 plus a dog on board. My sister claims claustrophobia to this day and I slept in the engine bay. As much as I loved her I am not sure I would go back .

Concerto

Visit site
I feel although the Coribbee is a pretty boat, it is knocked for six by the Hunter Formula 1. I bought one when they were first built and it had real row away appeal on a mooring. This video shows how elegant and fast they are.

stu9000

Visit site
all this outboard talk reminds me of my Caprice's habit of see sawing the outboard out of the water on every swell, usually when trying to get over a bar. Transom mounted on a spring loaded pad. Semi seized most of the time it was a bugger to work with, but you could spin it on a penny. I am absolulely loving my inboard diesel on the Jag 27, but miss the going backwards manouverability that the Caprice had. Surrounded by super yachts in Chatham marina in a blowing gale recently I learned that the Jag has little directional manouverability going backwards. Still would not swop though. Loving Sunbird. Loving her.

stu9000

Visit site
I feel although the Coribbee is a pretty boat, it is knocked for six by the Hunter Formula 1. I bought one when they were first built and it had real row away appeal on a mooring. This video shows how elegant and fast they are.

My Dad had a Hunter, around 30 foot. Never quite grew to love her as she seemed very tender. No doubt great for winning bragging rights, especially with half a rugby team on the windward rail, but not really me. A well thought out boat, and perfect for someone, but not me.

Seajet

Visit site
The outboard in the well works just fine on my boat...

Have motored 60-80 miles across the Channel - a tiny bit of wind helps a lot as a boost for motorsailing but a 4-5hp 2-stroke gives 2.5 hours per gallon at 5 knots - and when properly sailing we stow the engine and fit the fairing plug.

No drag, no noise, the engine is easily replaced if it goes tits up ( spoken as an ex- Volvo saildrive owner :rolleyes: ), the A22 well is ahead of the rudder so she turns on a sixpence and in the unlikely event of collecting lobster pot markers - they're sheltered behind the keel - the engine is simply lifted and the old breadknife applied - what's not to like ?! :)

alant

Visit site
The outboard in the well works just fine on my boat...

Have motored 60-80 miles across the Channel - a tiny bit of wind helps a lot as a boost for motorsailing but a 4-5hp 2-stroke gives 2.5 hours per gallon at 5 knots - and when properly sailing we stow the engine and fit the fairing plug.

No drag, no noise, the engine is easily replaced if it goes tits up ( spoken as an ex- Volvo saildrive owner :rolleyes: ), the A22 well is ahead of the rudder so she turns on a sixpence and in the unlikely event of collecting lobster pot markers - they're sheltered behind the keel - the engine is simply lifted and the old breadknife applied - what's not to like ?! :)

You motored that miracle of design?:rolleyes:

Seajet

Visit site
Outboard on transom;

prop aft of the rudder so no vectored thrust unless one has horribly ungainly remote controls.

Unless one has those it involves leaning over the transom facing backwards to get at the engine controls, next stop a starring role on Youtube !

Also means dangling crew and tools over the stern.

Engine and controls vulnerable to being torn off by shore lines if alongside walls.

Diabolical for boat weight trim.

Looks ugly.

Apart from that, spiffing...:)

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
You motored that miracle of design?:rolleyes:

Yes Alant,

I have sometimes found even my divining skills have been unable to conjure up suitable winds, haven't yours ?

I think the Viking navigators regarded it as Witchcraft - look out Michael Frost ! And treated any forecasters who managed it a bit harshly.

Yours, definitely not a Wizard, honest

Andy

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Unless one has those it involves leaning over the transom facing backwards to get at the engine controls, next stop a starring role on Youtube !
/QUOTE]

My last boat had a transom-hung outboard. I had to sit a wee bit further aft than usual, but not excessively so, to be able to use the outboard tiller conveniently. There were certainly downsides, like the prop coming out in swells (I broke three shear pins on re-entry) and the short-circuiting effects of a decent wave up the chuff of a Seagull Silver Century, but on the whole it worked pretty well

Niander

Visit site
the outboard is in a well (good thing)....?
How so they die on there own exhaust gasses...how do I know?
I had a Hurley 22 with an outboard in a well..:(...great boat btw but not that bit.
Now I have an inboard Diesel[sweet]...[and also a barge pusher seagull on the transom[but that's just for fun] ;)...

BruceDanforth

Visit site
My engine has neve died on it's own exhaust gases - most of the exhaust is dumped down by the prop. There is a small hole in the leg that a small amount of smoke comes out of and some people pipe that below the waterline.

As you are talking about smelly old seagulls then perhaps one of those would choke.

the outboard is in a well (good thing)....?
How so they die on there own exhaust gasses...how do I know?
I had a Hurley 22 with an outboard in a well..:(...great boat btw but not that bit.
Now I have an inboard Diesel[sweet]...[and also a barge pusher seagull on the transom[but that's just for fun] ;)...