The big leap

SteveT

Visit site
Why o why ,

Does there seem to be a massive hike in price between a 25ft boat and a 30ft boat.
As an example a new 25ft model was priced at around 24k, the 30.5ft model from the same supplier was 80k. The equipment wa sroughly the same , but bigger in the bigger boat. It had two more births and the seats were a better quality leather(i guess by the sniff test) and yes the engines where bigger, but 55k worth ?

peterg

Visit site
bigger engines will make a big difference in price and so will some levels of equipment as standard (radar, gps etc.) but more than likely they will sell the smaller boat at less profit (not at a loss, mind you!) in the hope that brand loyalty will get you into a bigger model shortly after....

G

Re: who?

You're allowed to name names a bit on here. What makes and models? 25footer for 25k sounds good. Does it have engines? 80k for a 30 had better have engines.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I guess its down to market forces. Every boat builder and his dog makes a 25 footer so the market's crowded with competitors and the customers are more price sensitive. Fewer builders make 30 footers and the market's smaller anyway so the fixed costs have to be amortized over a smaller number of units. Probably also the customers are less price sensitive in that, if they can afford £70k, they'll probably go to £80k
So, there you have it. You probably could have paid a management consultant £50k for this analysis but you got it for free

jfm

Visit site
I think it happens at all levels. A 40 footer is £260k. A 50footer is £450k. Wiv leopards, a 23metre is £1.5m and a £24m is £2.5m (but you do get Arnesons). Cost should definitely be more proportional to volume than length, so you would expect a steep curvy curve, but as someone else said the equipment gets better too like a 40 footer wil have bowthruster as standard and a 50footer a 7Kw genny and ultimately you get to Arneson drives etc.

JFM

D

Deleted User YDKXO

So, what we're saying is that the bigger the boat, the less price sensitive the buyer is which means Matts getting really ripped off for his Leopard. Its no wonder they throw in an electric can opener and some John Lewis scatter cushions for free

jfm

Visit site
Re: Different measures apply

Nope, quite the reverse IMHO. If you want ultra-high spec, the boat looks very expensive in terms of £-per-metre, but that's not the yardstick these buyers are using. But that doesn't mean they're getting ripped off, the markets are pretty efficient on this one.

JFM

ArthurWood

Visit site
Blimey, do I have to go to a 50' boat in Europe before I get a 7kW genset? Don't you lot have aircon in even in the Med? Or is aircon considered sissy?
I assume Matts will have aircon ( gold plated?) as standard on his Leopard.

G

Matts got a pukka wallah with a fan to personally keep him cool. And a special Italian anaesthetic thingamegig to empty his wallet painlessly

jfm

Visit site
Re: US spec vs Europe spec

Yup Arthur. Gensets become standard at 46-50 feet. Optional on smaller boats, though not that common below say 38feet. All marinas have shorepower, and many people use gas to cook (though personally I would not use gas, way too dangerous IMHO). Aircon is widespread in med, rare in UK. Even larger boats, well above 50feet, tend to have aircon only as a cost option in the UK market. And some other gizmos fitted for US market (like deckwash, phonepoints, and solid stainless steel strip around the hull-to-deck joint instead of an aluminium extrusion with rubber insert) are always deleted from UK and med boats.

JFM

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Re: Different measures apply

JFM, it was a tongue in cheek comment. Of course I realise other factors come into play other then £ per ton of grp otherwise we'd all be tooling around in Bayliners

G

Re: The big leap (ard)

two, for some reason, in case the air isn't very nice in one of them. Or praps they are differrent flavours.

No, arthur, most sub-50's euro spec won't have air standard. Even then, it's not US-spec air - which if I remeber slows a car significantly upn switching it on, and becomes uncomfortably cold from 30degrees in 7seconds. In europe, "can yo feel, it's sort of geting colder, specially if you put your hand over there..."

Geoffs

Visit site
24K for 25ft is quite cheap, I don't know what it can be. For 24K I bet you are only going to get a spark ignitioner. Got to pay at least another 10K for an oil burner.

The lowest cost one I know is the Lema Gold, at about 35K with KAD32.It's cheap, too cheap. Sorry Challenger Marine but I was not impressed at SIBS.

The one I fell in love with is the Galia 777, from Tameside Marine. From wot you can see at SIBS, looks well built and bootifully finished, lovely polished mahogany inside, hardly a bit of GRP visible. Nice size heads with shower, about 45k with KAD43. I'm hoping Tameside are going to take me for a spin. Mind you, the other half said 'I don't like the anti roll bar'. Er .... that's a radar arch, dear.

I guess when you get to 30ft, there are two oil burners, that's going to heaps lots of £'s on it.

SteveT

Visit site
Re: who?

I cant remember the exact names but its in this months (boat show) edition an advert for Tameside Marine as it happens i think they were SOLPA,S AND the prices where shown on the advert.

jfm

Visit site
Re: Tongue in cheek/Bayliners

Oooer sorry. I could see your second para was tongue in cheek but not the first para....

But your Bayliner comment is harsh and unwarranted. They are what they are, customers can choose, but doesn't mean that owners of them are "tooling around"

JFM

G

Re: Tooling around

my understanding of the term is not derogatory to owner, purpose, or craft, just casual. I've heard of people tooling around in v expensive cars.

But it does give the excuse to give short ver of joke. Elephant in jungle gets willy bitten off by large leopard. What dya do that for? says elephant. I'm a two-litre jaguar (gedit).

G

Re: don\'t tell me!

John Wayne! No - George C Scott in um...I give up....wassis mean