The beautiful Broads and Broom

Suffolk_Newbie

Visit site
Having hired boats on the Northern Norfolk Broads for many years, and now planning to buy a boat and berth her on the Southern Broads, SWMBO and I decided to hire on the Southern Broads during the past week.

Two observations:
1. The Southern Broads are such a relaxing place to boat, with some great moorings for those who enjoy nature. I'm not saying that they're better than the Northern Broads in general, but they certainly suit us better.
2. Broom's pivot from Boat builder to Leisure company seems to be working, with great staff, fantastic hire boats, and an overall excellent holiday experience.

The trip certainly reinforced our plan to base ourselves on the Southern Broads and enjoy the tranquility of the rivers, whilst having the Sea access via G.Yarmouth or Lowestoft.

Attachments

• 6318BD1D-9A99-4281-B603-997D0E2044FE.JPG
    6318BD1D-9A99-4281-B603-997D0E2044FE.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • e2ef36b1-1f47-4162-96f6-25f3101a8ba7.JPG
    e2ef36b1-1f47-4162-96f6-25f3101a8ba7.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5199.jpg
    IMG_5199.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5202.jpg
    IMG_5202.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5204.jpg
    IMG_5204.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43

Greg2

Visit site
Yes, and it did reinforce that size does matter.

The Broom Captain was a 35 footer, and I wouldn't want to go smaller for our needs.A s
Yes, and it did reinforce that size does matter.

The Broom Captain was a 35 footer, and I wouldn't want to go smaller for our needs.

A sensible move to hire first - it is no unusual for people to err on the side of caution and buy small only to did that they are changing within a year or two.

Simi

Visit site
Go and look at the selection of boats for sale at NYA in Brundall and Horning they have boats of every shape and size for all budgets

Suffolk_Newbie

Visit site
Go and look at the selection of boats for sale at NYA in Brundall and Horning they have boats of every shape and size for all budgets
@Simi yes, I will do; I’m going to take a ride up in the next few weeks. I’ll try the food at the White Heron whilst I’m there, it looks good since the refurb.

oldgit

Visit site
The Goldilocks conumdrum.
Too small, minimum internal volume equals lack of essential home comforts but easy to handle. To big and finding a mooring in peak times on the Broads will be a real problem, plus any extra volunteer crew beyond you and the Mrs , will disappear as time goes on.
Moorings are full of big boats which never go anywhere, boat simply to big to handle by owner alone.
Your budget will really be the decider on what you will end up with, suggest that a survey is vital, the older the boat the more vital.
The location of your proposed boat purchase , some might suggest that mechanical maintenance on the Broads (and other inland waterways) is not always given the same amount of attention that a coastal boat would receive.
Avoid ex hire craft like the plague.
Your hopes to go further afield requires that your purchase needs to be powered by something more than the base engines only suitable for non tidal areas.

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
The location of your proposed boat purchase , some might suggest that mechanical maintenance on the Broads (and other inland waterways) is not always given the same amount of attention that a coastal boat would receive.

There is some truth in this but unlike inland waterways such as the non-tidal Thames the Broads provides easy access to the sea so many seagoing boats do actually go to sea and are more likely to have been maintained.

The Q

Visit site
Your hopes to go further afield requires that your purchase needs to be powered by something more than the base engines only suitable for non tidal areas.
I should point out that the majority of the Broad rivers are tidal, as are some of the broads, up to 5 or 6 mph in places. Even where I sail 19 miles inland by river, we can have a 2 mph incoming tide and 3 or 4 mph outgoing..

Suffolk_Newbie

Visit site
The Goldilocks conumdrum.
Too small, minimum internal volume equals lack of essential home comforts but easy to handle. To big and finding a mooring in peak times on the Broads will be a real problem, plus any extra volunteer crew beyond you and the Mrs , will disappear as time goes on.
Moorings are full of big boats which never go anywhere, boat simply to big to handle by owner alone.
Your budget will really be the decider on what you will end up with, suggest that a survey is vital, the older the boat the more vital.
Thanks @oldgit, this is good advice, especially about the engine size.