The bay of roses

john m

Visit site
I am thinking about buying a boat in this area,
Can anyone give me some pointers,?
What is the area like for family Holliday's
Beaches swimming sailing nightlife and the cost of a marina berth and what marina is best value thanks in advance
John

colind3782

Visit site
Been going to Empuriabrava for 30 years and I've had the boat there for five. Great for holidays and lots to do but the different areas from L'Escala up to Roses itself are all very different. Empuria is probably the most expensive unless you can get a private mooring and they are available. Lots of lovely beaches, restaurants and bars. I think Santa Margarita is probably the cheapest but has a narrow channel.

If you want any info about the area, I know it well and I can PM my phone number if you want a chat.

Colin

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We berthed at Roses for a few nights and found the cost very reasonable but this was ten years ago. The cape to the north is a superb cruising area with many small bays but there seems to be a swell from the east quite often. I would have thought the area would suit most families.

john m

Visit site
Thanks for the advice I'm still in the early stages but I think I might move the boat further up to the Barcelona area or further up to be a bit nearer an airport does anyone have advice on reasonable price marinas hopefully about April I will be doing the trip if all goes well

colind3782

Visit site
Unless you're in one of the Barcelona marinas, they are all going to be a bit of a trot from the airport. For instance, Empuriabrava is 40 minutes drive from Girona Airport or 90 minutes from Barcelona El Prat. According to Google Maps, all the marinas between Roses and Blanes are about 35-40 minutes from Girona. As far as I know, the only one with any kind of beach close by is Sant Feliu. No idea on prices though, although I know that Platja D'Aro isn't cheap.

RobbieW

Visit site
Thanks for the advice I'm still in the early stages but I think I might move the boat further up to the Barcelona area or further up to be a bit nearer an airport does anyone have advice on reasonable price marinas hopefully about April I will be doing the trip if all goes well

Worth looking at Port Ginesta; no idea of price other than it has been a popular wintering spot, it is fairly close to Barcelona El Prat - perhaps 30 mins drive or an hour on a bus. Dont know what the situation with central Barcelona marinas is today, a few years ago they were actively moving smaller yachts out of one to make way for the 'super' variety :)

pragmatist

Visit site
I am thinking about buying a boat in this area,
Can anyone give me some pointers,?
What is the area like for family Holliday's
Beaches swimming sailing nightlife and the cost of a marina berth and what marina is best value thanks in advance
John

You lucky thing. We considered buying a boat ashore at Roses. I had myself psyched up for the trip to look at her and was "gutted" when we decided not to go any further. Unfortunately "the dog had eaten the paperwork" and there seemed to be no evidence of ownership. Great pity ! Hope you get the boat and enjoy the area.

john m

Visit site
Been going to Empuriabrava for 30 years and I've had the boat there for five. Great for holidays and lots to do but the different areas from L'Escala up to Roses itself are all very different. Empuria is probably the most expensive unless you can get a private mooring and they are available. Lots of lovely beaches, restaurants and bars. I think Santa Margarita is probably the cheapest but has a narrow channel.

If you want any info about the area, I know it well and I can PM my phone number if you want a chat.

Colin
yes that would be great I am going to see the boat next Friday so fingers crossed it's as good as they say

RobbieW

Visit site
Just spent a couple of days in Palamos waiting for the sea to settle enough to complete a mobo delivery to P Napoleon. Lovely town but marina visitor rates not the cheapest, otherwise good facilities.