The art of debate?

Sybarite

Visit site
I also think a lot of people lack the courage of their convictions by not providing their name in the personal data.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: \"Good debate\" - art or science?

The art is the communication of the logic and reasoning. :)

Not sure that I agree witht Paul's classical attitude to wit being educated insolence.. insolence infers contempt, often offensive and or arogant.. Maybe ancient Greek doesn't translate into Modern English that well but I reckon wit doesn't have to be insolent .. educated or not :)

Neal

Visit site
That Aristotle chap....

He was a real weirdo - eg "rake your fire so there's no sign of a saucepan having been there, thou shall not eat beans".

Didn't he write a load of bowlocks!

How am I doing in raising the level of debate?

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulineb

Visit site
Don't you just love the Greek philosophers:

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.

Socrates himself was particularly missed -
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed !!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Pxx

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paulinebeddoes.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery>The Perils of Pauline in Pics</A>

bigmart

Visit site
I'm not sure that I would quote Monty Python in a serious philosophical debate. Fun though. Especially if your name was Bruce.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
little piccy was intended to show my boating competancy, and I stand by it! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Now, what has that got to do with debating skills?

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Two sides as ever to this debate. People do seem to take offense to well meant arguements, and rather than clarify, they take the arguement down a dead end.

Note, I'm using arguement rather than debate

Read the posts here,.... people are often put into a defensive position, when their original post was quite well meaning. Someone will take a spin on the original post, quite outside the intended meaning, and several people will jump onto that part of the thread.

Next thing you know, everyone is 'debating' a very different issue.

The issue of virtuality and rudeness is one that justifies my original claim that the art of true debate has been lost

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Re:I\'m not convinced

Agree that the format doesn't lend itself as well to debate as verbal or face to face.

Many times nuances are lost as you say. What can be meant as a witty response can be seen as aggressive by onlookers who are unaware that the respondees know each other, have crossed swords previously, or have other agendas.

It would be a shame if onlookers are put off posting due to the regulars having fun

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: For my part...

I think I may have transgressed myself here, sorry. Here lies the difficulty of debating and raising issues without overstepping the mark

The issue is not one only of these forums. Listening to Radio 4 in the morning, or watching TV news, the presenters are no longer interested in taxing and cajoling the subect into saying more than they might wish. They go for the jugular, with the simple aim of obtaining a 'soundbite' , which will be repeated hourly at every 'news update' throughout the day

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
In an ideal world?

Yes, it would be wonderful, but there is so little logic in sailing and boating. It's too complex for any two people to agree about anything

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
I know we have sparred before Magic & I know I have caused you some offence in those postings. First I would like to tell you that none of my comments in those posts were intended as personal attacks on you & none of what I say now is intended to offend.

I do not undestand how it is possible to hold a debate of any substance if I do not speak my mind or speak as I find. generally I do not use those phrases but I have used the "If you can't stand the heat" etc.

What is the basis of the debate if it is not two or more people, at least starting from the viewpoint of, speaking their own minds?

If you can't stand the heat on the other hand is a comment on the fortitude, moral or otherwise, of a person or group of people. Here again I do not understand how it correlation to the previous two phrases.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>