That old sore again RCD

martinparsons

Visit site
Sorry to be a pain but there's an S & S 55footer sitting in the states going cheap (not cheep!). Can anyone refresh my memory doesn't RCD have limits as to how far back in time it applies - this boat is 50 years old and would certainly not be worth stripping for a full RCD certification but it would be nice to bring her to the U.K. ( she was built in the States) You're thoughts would be valued. Cheers

fireball

Visit site
Then won't the boat just have to attend a course to be issued with an RCD ?? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

twisterkai

Visit site
Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings.

The age limitations imposed by the RCD only apply to vessels already within the EEA, which, if memory serves is mid June 1998(?). Unfortunately as the S&S you're drooling after at the moment is State side, if she wasn't in the EEA during the prescribed time limitations the you're just going to have to pay up. I think CE Proof's web site will give a rough idea of costs involved. In essence, if you go ahead with the purchase I'm afraid that to bring her back to good old blighty you're going to have to part with a further considerable sum of money, and lets face it, it's a complete rip off. But then thats the mantra of the majority of the marine environment!

I bet one day someone will challenge the RCD, especially where older yachts are concerned under the guise of restricting trade etc. It won't be me, I can't afford it!!

Norman_E

Visit site
Query? Do you have to have RCD compliance to use the boat, or only to sell it on within the EU? If it is the latter then you could buy in the States, and sail it back when you want to sell. Having to pay VAT is bad enough without having to stump up for a piece of paper to tell you that a boat which has probably already cicumnavigated is safe to use, measured against arbitrary stability criteria.

twisterkai

Visit site
Unfortunately, you need RCD compliance to use the boat. The fact that most yachts bought in the states are then subsequently sailed back to blighty across the big pond, thus proving their seaworthiness, doesn't come into it. Demented pen pushers have won again!!