That Karen Williams in PBO

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
She could be in politics.

Not only does she have an ability to over complicate the simple. I.E. I suspect most of us had realised that if your boat leans over too far it may well
"down flood". One or two of the brighter among us might be able to name some of the likely causes too. But she also gets pages and pages published under the heading Yachtmaster Refresher for a subject that is barely covered in the syllabus.

I remember helping to prepare a big brutal ex-racer for a code survey. We had to stick one of those natty little inclinometers in each helm position. The game on the subsequent delivery was heeling sufficiently to get it of the scale.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ericw

Visit site
If you've ever sailed with her you'd realise that she does actually know what she's on about !

Personally, I think she'd be wasted in politics - a misguided view of one's own worth to this world is required in that field - something that she cannot be accused of !

Regards,

E.

<hr width=100% size=1>www.HarryHindsight.com

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Just finished reading the ah-tickle in question and found myself wondering how I 've kept boats keel-side-down over the years. I thought the article could have been condensed to three sentences:

1. Don't sail with the deck edge under water - reef before it happens
2. If it's bit breezy, make sure all hatches and ports off the centre line are closed
3. If it's really breezy, close the centre line hatches, and put the washboards in.

Seems to work for me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Is it me as the owner of a new boat, but this monthe PBO was about the most boring ever?.....thousands of articles about renovating old boats and their bits and pieces are of little interest to me. Even the article about downflooding etc was way overdone, even to someone of my limited experience. Seems the magazines have found (to them) a new subject, 'stability', and they're working it to death.

Boring, boring, boring - maybe it's the wrong magazine for me and the many thousands of other modern boat owners - perhaps Sailing Today is not so bad after all.

<hr width=100% size=1>

beancounter

Visit site
Re: Is it me?

why the fairly widespread "down" on Sailing Today on this forum?

maybe it's because I'm a new boy to cruising, but I find ST OK.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
On the other hand...

I found it to be one of the best issues I've seen - it alll depends on your perspective:

1 Article on Sea Jay restoration was superb - I saw her a few years back in Itchenor reach and know her history (she belonged to a good friend) so great to see her restored.

2 Ian Clovers account of his and Sebs crossing the Atlantic with some good practical tips

3 Andrew Simpsons article on sail making

4 Bill Mitchell's tips on outboards - I know Bill and he knows his onions

5 Karen's stability article. Stability is an important part of merchant training and some knowledge by yachtsmen should be considered essential even if some of what she says is fairly obvious.

6 Irene article. Wondered what had become of her and Leslie Morrish.

7 Excellent article on propeller pitch. I suspect mine is over-pitched and despite exhaustive reading, this article is one of the best summaries I've read. I shall be experimenting this weekend.

Thought the security bits were naff, but on the whole liked the mag. Coincidentally did my SRC upgrade with Karen last Saturday and found her informative and most helpful. Haven't sailed with her but imagine she's competent, thorough, and fun.

All IMHO!

<hr width=100% size=1>

aod

Visit site
I know Karen she raced with me a few times in the mid 90sher early years. She's done well to have a contract with IPC :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Tantalus

Visit site
Now we know why you're not writing articles for the sailing magazines.
The whole magazine would end up being only four pages long, and mainly adverts at that Make for a far quicker read though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
Following your post I have just read the article in question and I agree with you. If a person needs to read an article like that then I would question whether they have the basic level of inteligence required to set off sailing in a boat. Twister Ken covered the subject very well and did not try to over interlectualise the subject.
What annoys me is that the taxpayer ends up paying for all the garbage that is produced by the way of guidance or even worse legislation.
I have PBO and Sailing Today every month and I did used to take YM but did not find it too relevant to my coastal cruising in a 30 year old boat and then they wrote and told me the price was going up because of all the improvements to the magazine so I told them they must be produceing a different magazine to the one I was reading and cancelled my subscription. (does that take the record for the longest sentance ever on a posting?)
Sailing Today is now a very good magazine even if their web site is light years behind this one.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Reap

Visit site
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

If a person needs to read an article like that then I would question whether they have the basic level of inteligence required to set off sailing in a boat.

<hr></blockquote>

This may be true, but then why do so many people then proceed to go out and buy what is basically an unstable yacht?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yacht-links.net>http://www.yacht-links.net</A>