Thank you….

Charlie Boy

Visit site
…to the lovely folk who let me know that someone had got into a muddle yesterday when trying to anchor just downstream of Pin Mill and, as a consequence, lumped into my moored boat. Two boats, you know who you are so I won’t name you but thank you hugely for noting what happened and passing on the pics.
As to the miscreant, we all make mistakes but the very least you could have done was leave a note but you chose not to. I am distressed by this behaviour. Please alter it.

Charlie Boy

Visit site
In the circumstances I feel that what we’re after here is altering behaviour for the future. Shaming an already embarrassed person is always counterproductive.
A quiet word is always more effective than a shouted one

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
In the circumstances I feel that what we’re after here is altering behaviour for the future. Shaming an already embarrassed person is always counterproductive.
A quiet word is always more effective than a shouted one
I stand corrected. I'd read into your post that the other boat had in some way damaged yours and wasn't overly bothered about contacting you.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
During the forty plus years I’ve been sailing I’ve accidentally damaged two boats.
The first, more than thirty years ago, involved a tacking miscalculation at Waldringfield. I left a note. The owner contacted me and the repair by the boatyard was so reasonable it wasn’t worth making an insurance claim & I sent a cheque.
The second time was a harbour-manoeuvre embarrassment - I clipped and cracked a pushpit-mounted gps antenna with my anchor. I informed the marina staff who contacted the owner. He asked them to thank me for my honesty, said he had at least two spares and to not worry about it! Thank you if you’re reading this - it was at Lowestoft Haven about ten years or so ago.
Obviously I’m now far too skilful and experienced to make any sort of mistake again (!) but if somehow I managed to but I was certain there was no damage I don’t think I’d feel a need to try to contact the owner.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
The current boat I have, bought almost 20 years ago, I spent several weeks sorting it out before launching, motored to the fuel berth to fill up and managed to ram another boat, damaging some woodwork on the stern. Saw the owner after mooring and offered to pay for the damage to be repaired. He was very reasonable, said it was going for more repairs at layup and would contact me later regarding cost. From memory it only cost about £45 which I thought was very reasonable.

billskip

Visit site
I got hit by the flying dolphin from Athens in Aegina port. Damaged the stbd after guard rail...they just laughed...