Thames Nomads

ms1

Visit site
Seems to a be super abundance of these people on the Thames this year, taking moorings for weeks and months. One wonders if they have licences and how they dispose of waste etc. Free to move around after 1800 hours when EA patrols shut up shop. Anyone know if the EA are even aware and planning to do something .. or maybe they are scared to approach the issue in case they are accused of targetting a profiled group. ?

Brayman

Visit site
I think there is certainly some reticence to approach them on the EA's part. Having said that they did move a load of them off of the moorings at Sonning just before Easter (I'll find out later today if they have drifted back). They all appeared to gather behind the islands at Shiplake, I'll check that tomorrow.
It needs a concerted and continuing effort.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Years ago it was quite nice to see the odd old wooden boat festooned with old assorted fenders pulled out of the river and other marine junk rescued from Weirs and caches. In a perverse way it was all quite charming and added character. Now it is a different ball game.

Doolittle

Visit site
Myself and a couple of residents behind Laleham Wharf are quite active in getting boats moved on if they have been there for more than 3 days. Usually it isn't a problem except that quite often they run generators in the evening which is intrusive for the residents. Last summer there was a narrow boat who had to recharge her batteries but to do this she bizarrely had to leave it in forward gear at fairly high revs! Should have seen us trying to moor our school run boat behind her to drop the kids off first thing in the morning. I nearly had it on the plane!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

theguvnor

Visit site
There has been 2 70' narrow boats at Spadeoak in Cookham reach for over 3 weeks at either end of the moorings. It just leaves room for 1 cruiser (not over 30'). I have never seen any signs of life on either boat (and I pass them every day). Why don't they bloody well RAFT UP !!

sarabande

Visit site
What about an enquiryunder the Freedom of Information Act to the EA about any policy or regulatory discussions regarding abuse of the residency rules ?

miket

Visit site
Sardine can city

I came up from Harleyford to Sonning last Friday and decided to take a look round the back of the Islands at Shiplake. There must have been at least 5 huge long canal boats on the Shiplake College side. No sign of life, one was in process of being painted (I assume), but all were licensed!! 4 had EA licences and 1 had a gold BW license, so no complaints there. They were not actually occupying any moorings regularly used by motor boats but I wouldn't moor on the Island opposite them. They hardly do a lot for the view.

ms1

Visit site
So is it the case that if they are licenced then the EA reckons not to move them on as they will just move and return in a day or so ?
And if unlicenced they dont want the aggro of doing something about it. Even less keen to board and inspect toilet waste arrangements .. they do call themselves 'River Inspectors' .

bradtarga34

Visit site
It drives me up the wall as well. The whole idea of 24 hour moorings is to give everyone a chance to stay at various locations as they move up and down the river, not to stay there as long as they please. A lot of these boats also don't show an 07 license, yet EA boats are quite happy just to steam on past. With seemingly little else to do on the river, surely they should be addressing this very obvious disregard for the mooring restrictions. Does my head in!

TrueBlue

Visit site
Many of the moorings quoted in this thread are not EA marked moorings to the length of stay "rules" don't apply.

EA is now limited in it's actions to taking the owner to court, as this is (now) a prosecution this can be costly to EA and if they know that the defendant has now real income (other than benefits), then they won't get their money back. So they don't bother. The same result applies on BW waters, but then that lot are more aggressive and can physically seize the boats - which I don't think EA can do.

Licenses are paid as part of the benefit package as it's a whole lot cheaper than finding them LA accommodation.

Many of these folk keep to themselves and don't cause much trouble, but there seems to be a growing number who know how they can manipulate the system, and don't have any conscience - social or otherwise - and I think the trouble comes from that section.

The advent of this forum has raised awareness and now acts as our "grapevine" as a counter to the travellers own towpath telegraph.

Bunny

Visit site
Not that it`s any consolation but we have the same problem on the canals. It seems to have got worse in the last five years. Boats mooring up on visitor moorings for weeks on end, no visible licences in the windows and no ins. probably either. B.W. may come and sticker the offending boats occasionally, but they just move on around the next bend!! My marina is so fed up with the "freeloading" of the these people that after hours the skip is locked, as are the waterpoints. This means that if you work in the day you cant dispose of your rubbish till the weekend, even though you are a law abiding, fully paid up moorer. Very annoying!

Gumpy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

EA is now limited in it's actions to taking the owner to court, as this is (now) a prosecution this can be costly to EA and if they know that the defendant has now real income (other than benefits), then they won't get their money back. So they don't bother. The same result applies on BW waters, but then that lot are more aggressive and can physically seize the boats - which I don't think EA can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes BW on average over a year to get an unlicenced boat off its waterways.
If there is the slightest hint that it is someones home then it can go on for even longer or the case is dropped.

Opposite where I moor are two boats moored on the towpath neither of which have a "home" mooring. One has been there over 3 years and the other was sold by the barmaid in the local pub when she left her job to the new barmaid, it has been there 2 years.
BW will not act as they are licenced and towpath shuffling is not high priority. This is despite me having a friend that worked in the licencing dept and trying to bring pressure to bear that way.

Im afraid its the way society is going these days a sod everyone else attitude.

Julian

ms1

Visit site
so perhaps with the continuing squeeze on accommodation in the South East, high level of house repossessions by lenders and other associated social pressures we will witness further 'settlement' on the Thames. There seems no doubt that these are liveaboards and not someone falling on hard times and having to find a mooring for a few months. If the only deterrent is a visit from the EA then there's not much hope, unless perhaps there is a case to be made with regard to waste disposal (or crime). I've now written to the EA to ask what they are doing.
Strange thing is they all have to have that 'look' . Its not just a boat on the bankside - they have to have logs, bikes, and goodness knows what piled up.. its as if it is part of the credentials.
There are so many parts of our lives where the 'authorities' cant be bothered to police the rules so people can just do what they want .. its almost as if its a backlash against people constantly being told what to do, what not to do. I guess its naive to think that the Thames can escape from that: and like all these things - there's no way back.

apollo

Visit site
So the guy on Pangbourne meadow that gets up, leaves his boat every morning with a briefcase in his hand to catch the train to London, returns every evening, all the time occupying a free mooring nearest the town is a top guy?

I have to hand it to him, beats renting.

Lets have more of them, so all the moorings will be full and then we will only be left with anchoring out, if nothing else it will improve our seamanship skills - right on!

Yeah, lets like all stop paying our bills and live in harmony!!!

Can anyone pass me my pills!

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What happened to live and let live? OK, maybe I'm a child of the sixties or whatever. Although there are some who act selfishly, the majority of the nomads I've come across seem to be pretty decent people. Ease up on them a bit, please.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. We should all be quite happy to pay our taxes to support these people. They should be allowed to turn any mooring into a residential rent free one. It's only a pity they can't get their fuel free too. It is most unfair of the Supermarkets not to provide free food too.

jaws

Visit site
Anyone been to Teddington lately? There is a shanty town developing just upstream of the lock moorings. About 6 or 7 boats last time I passed and they haven't mooved in ages. Does indeed make you wonder what they do with their waste. Still, I suppose it hasn't got far to go until it gets to the Tidal Thames!